If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, I'm Nicola the Speech and language advisor, you can ask me questions today

NicolaLatheySLTNicolaLatheySLT Posts: 35Member, Community advisor Whisperer
Hello everyone, my name is Nicola. I am a children’s speech and language therapist, and deal with a range of issues from simple lisps to complex needs.

I am head of The Owl Centre, which provides multidisciplinary therapy services for children across 19 counties in England and South Wales.

If you need information and support on speech and language development, social communication issues, or behavioural difficulties, just ask me a question and I’d be very happy to help.
Nicola Lathey
Speech And Language Advisor
Phone: 01242 571883
Email: [email protected]
theowltherapycentre.co.uk

Replies

• debsh79debsh79 Posts: 5Member Listener
    Hi my son is autistic and classed as non verbal. He says some words sometimes and has progressed with sounds he makes. He understands just about everything is great with pec that were specially made but he is not so interested at school. I don't think they are trying with him and his pecs book at school is pretty basic compared to at home. How can I get the school speech and language to get him to the level he is at home when they don't believe he is capable. What can I do to help him further with his speech so he feels he can us it more?
  • OuraniaOurania Posts: 14Member Whisperer
    I have a son who will be 3 next month,at the moment the diagnosis we have is sociocommunication difficulties and we are looking further if he is autistic as it runs ib the family. At the momwnt he is not talking words only make and somwtimes copy sounds. His understanding is very good,he follows simpy instructions i give him etc How can i help him <unblock> his talking i know its there cz when we talk to him he understand us he is looking to us in the eyes and reacts with smile or jumping up and down or cry and shout depends what he is feeling . How do u help ur non verbal child to express his feeling and needs? Also potry training is a difficult one if you could give us some advice. Thank you in advance and my apologies for the wrong post.
Sign in or join us to comment.