new style esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new style esa

gildenel
gildenel Community member Posts: 16 Connected
so I have been getting income support and carers allowance, as I look after my daughter who has autism, she had an indefinite award for dla but recently lost this, I now am no longer entitled to these benefits so I rang the number to apply for esa (as i am unwell due to heart problems and anxiety among other things) and was told that I have to apply for universal credit, but have asked for a form for new style esa instead is this the best thing to apply for? 

Comments

• gildenel
    gildenel Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hi it's a full service area but they are sending me a form for new style esa, we have challenged the decision to take dds benefit away we're waiting for a tribunal date, the income support ended as I am no longer entitled to carer's allowance, I don' think there's any way I could get income support back, I could claim carers for my sister who gets pip but don't really have time to do enough for her in order to qualify, as I have 2 daughters with autism my husband gets carers for my other daughter.so we still get income support but I'm not on the claim.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi gildenel

New style ESA is ESA based on national insurance contributions. This benefit requires you to have worked and paid at least some NI in one of the two years before the year in which you claim. If you have not worked at all in the last two to three years i'm afraid you will not qualify for this.

It is good that you have challenged the decision to stop your daughter's benefit and it is also good that your husband is getting income support with you included. If you are successful in challenging the decision you should get paid the arrears for what otherwise would have been paid.

Do bear in mind that if you claim universal credit this would have the effect of stopping your other benefits including your husband's income support. If you get child tax credit and/or housing benefit these would also stop. So think very carefully and get further advice before claiming universal credit.

Thanks
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.