If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


lucaslucas Posts: 1Member Listener
My grandson is Twenty and receiving pip because he is autistic. He attends college 3 days a week is there any other benefit he is entitled to as my daughter \( his mother) is struggling financially. she only works part time because of My grandson disabilty. She does get care allowance for him and help with her rent. She still has to find an extra £30 a week to meet the rent.


  • Sue52Sue52 Posts: 74Member, Community champion Talkative
    [email protected]
    Happy Sunday  :)

    You could try a website called turn to us, they will give your grandson and daughter a 99% accurate advice and to what they could be entitled to. 
    Also I have advised someone else about local community hubs. If you have one in your area you can go in and they will help you check what they could be entitled to
    Hope this help. I am sure there will be much more advise coming along soon
    Take Care
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 4,873Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @lucas, and welcome!

    You can find the Turn2Us advice mentioned above on their website, and you may also like to give the online benefits calculator a go, to see if there's anything else your grandson may be eligible for, as it takes your personal circumstances into account. Hope this helps!
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,495Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi lucaslucas,

    if your daughter no longer receives child benefit and child tax credit for her son, then he may be able to claim either:

    universal credit OR
    income-related employment and support allowance.

    Which one he can claim will depend on his postcode. You can check by putting your daughter's postcode into the website here - it will tell you whether universal credit is available or not (turn2us, as recommended by Pippa, will also give her advice tailored to her area).

    It can be difficult for students to get universal credit though, so if it turns out that this is the benefit he has to claim, I would recommend that your daughter gets advice locally about how to do that, for example from a disability information advice centre or Citizens Advice

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • jaycee6jaycee6 Posts: 55Member Talkative
    HI You should be able to get esa for him if he is at college ,Not sure if it has to be a special needs college,Im presuming as he is 20 your daughter doesnt claim family credit and family allowence for him now
  • jaycee6jaycee6 Posts: 55Member Talkative
    Also forgot to add it may depend whether he is high or low pip
Sign in or join us to comment.