Reassessment of ESA - is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reassessment of ESA - is this normal?

coco1502
coco1502 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been on ESA high rate for less than two years.I have now had to fill in the forms to be reassessed.Is the normal proceedings.As my Dr at the Pain Clinic sent a letter the first time i claimed that my illness would progress and my mobility would gradually get worse.Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @coco1502
    Welcome to the community, we have lots of information here about ESA and it might be worth you checking about the ESA assessment support website here.

The government did announce back in October that it is to abolish 'pointless' employment and support allowance (ESA) reassessments for those with lifelong, severe health conditions with no prospect of improvement. They went on to say that;

'This change will apply to people who have already been placed in the ESA support group or universal credit limited capability for work and work related activity categories following a work capability assessment and who have the most severe health conditions and disabilities (defined as claimants with severe, lifelong, often progressive and incurable conditions, with minimally fluctuating care needs, who are unlikely to ever be able to move closer to the labour market and into work).'

Our @BenefitsTrainingCo suggested on another similar post:

I'd suggest complaining to the DWP about the reassessment (but still going along with it, because you don't want benefit to stop - the complaint is separate).

Why not go to see your MP too? The paper you read is House of Commons Briefing Paper 07820, 19th June 2017, but you'll notice in that paper there are statements the government made much earlier, saying they would ensure people weren't reassessed unnecessarily. It's clear that this isn't happening, and your MP may be able to support you.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.