Working from home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working from home

gelder33
gelder33 Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
if you read my introduction my position is laying on my side most of the day.
but with all the experience I have as a company manager and all the tech available, I feel I can use my experience to work from Home even in this position.  Obviously I cannot do physical work, but I can use most tech needed to work on.
my main question is I need ideas as what I can do and how to find the people to contact etc, I just feel stuck as how to get going.
Any advice or help will be very much appreciated.
thanks
Tony

Comments

• emmrald
    emmrald Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi gelder33 emerald hear I was reading well if you worked as you did be for you say that you were a company manager you could do techie and sounds like you need a pa so they can get the physical things I wish you luck 
  • gelder33
    Thank you
    i left school with no qualifications at all, so I started at the very bottom.
    i worked up from labourer at 16 in the foundry and just got on with my job, eventually I became a company manager with many ideas and skills, then became a company manager with another company who was in the construction piling and tunnelling, this was very very hard work but I loved it, I miss it all so much.
  • shirleygreen
    shirleygreen Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    I think losing my job as a result of becoming disabled is one of the hardest things I have to endure so I totally understand how you feel. Go for It! And good luck. 
  • gelder33
    Thankyou very much, I can emperthise with you on that one.
    good luck to you as well.
    I WILL NOT GIVE IN TO THIS SITUATION AT 56!
    There must be something I can do for others or start some business of my own.
    i ran a business as well as working for others in the past.
  • Rian_Alumni
    Rian_Alumni Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Good Afternoon @gelder33

I am Rian from Scope support to work and I have read your story and i must say well done on not giving up.

I have some information that you may find useul as I have a few customer that have applied and started work with the following company www.lionbridge.com they are an American based company who are looking for people to work from home on a self employed basis.

I think this may suit you as you will be given projects to complete for this company and will be paid as a Self employed person, there are no start up costs, which you may have seen with most home based jobs.

I would suggest you look at the Scope website for some information becoming Self-Employed. Here is a link for you to be able to look it up www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/work/self-employment

I hope you find this information useful

Kind Regards Rian
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • gelder33
    Hi rian
    thankyou very much for your advice.
    i will look into this and let you know how I get on either way
    regards
    tony
  • gelder33
    Put first app in thankyou
  • Rian_Alumni
    @gelder33

I hope you are doing well and have you heard anything from the company you applied to last week
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
  • gelder33
    Sorry not been online for a while, I put forward some info for a position but as I looked further it wasn’t for me, but I will keep looking thankyou.

• Rian_Alumni
    No problem thank you for keeping me updated
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gelder33, how are you doing?
  • gelder33
    Not too good at the moment, I got very depressed and stayed in my bedroom with a feeling of nothingness, I have been here before a few times, it just seems that everything is so hard to do due to my pain levels and limitations etc, this is with all the top end painkillers I am on.
    i am under doctor and have had sych help in the past, but nothing changes or helps really.
    sorry about the negative message
    hope you are well?
    t

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.