Should I appeal for son's PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I appeal for son's PIP?

lisalovesherkids
lisalovesherkids Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son is on medication for autism and adhd he has been since he was 5yrs old in November he scored 0 in his assessment Bec he goes to collage but he finds it hard to mix with others or go to diffrent places... I’m confused Bec he still struggles in every day life now Bec he has no extra money for cinema xctra he is stuck in his bedroom all the time I’m scared he’s gonna get depression his mood swings have changed aswell now not sure if I should appeal his pip or not any advice would be great full ty in advice

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, appeal - you have nothing to lose as he has scored 0 points.  No guarantee, but people have gone from 0 points to standard or even enhanced awards after tribunals.  65% of tribunal appeals succeed.  You will have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration (MR) first.

Try to get some f2f help.  Scope Helpline might be able to tell you about f2f help locally.

There's this group on Facebook:  esa/dla/pipadviceandsupportUKonly

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP.
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering

Hi @lisalovesherkids

If you do decide to apply for a mandatory reconsideration we have a lot of useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including some resources on MRs. You may find the following video on mandatory reconsiderations of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do get in touch!

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    The criteria has changed. Have you gone through to see where he should score points?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, most people moving from DLA to PIP are unaware of the two different criteria used for each benefit. The DLA is about your dismay and PIP is about your ability to cope manage descriptors listed you encounter in daily life,. The site listed below has a self test PIP acessment and on completed get a guide as to what your possible outcome of a F2F acessment would be.
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    @lisalovesherkids please be thankful you have got your Son Im sure if he goes to college that proves he has no problems communicating with others so it doesn't surprise me he was refused PIP . I' sure you can take him to other places other than cinema .I'm sorry if I've affended you in any way but people with no limbs have been turned down aswel ..I would give anything to have my Sons back disability or no disability. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.