Pda? Pathological demand avoidance asd — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pda? Pathological demand avoidance asd

Options
fisheralison2006
fisheralison2006 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
hello, I'm new here and I'm trying to raise awareness of PDA which is a sub profile sitting alongside ASD.  

Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) is now widely recognised as a distinct profile of autism. Individuals with a PDA profile will share similar difficulties to others on the autism spectrum in the following areas:

• Social Communication Difficulties
  • ​Social Interaction Difficulties
  • Restrictive and Repetitive patterns of behaviour (including sensory seeking or sensory avoiding behaviour)
More information can be found https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/what-is-PDA/about-pda

we are currently campaigning for more awareness - please take 2 seconds to sign our petition to ensure children and adults with asd PDA receive the correct support it is key to their success in life.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202680

Comments

• Yiman60
    Yiman60 Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    Options
    hello, I'm new here and I'm trying to raise awareness of PDA which is a sub profile sitting alongside ASD.  

Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) is now widely recognised as a distinct profile of autism. Individuals with a PDA profile will share similar difficulties to others on the autism spectrum in the following areas:

• Social Communication Difficulties
    • ​Social Interaction Difficulties
    • Restrictive and Repetitive patterns of behaviour (including sensory seeking or sensory avoiding behaviour)
    More information can be found https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/what-is-PDA/about-pda

we are currently campaigning for more awareness - please take 2 seconds to sign our petition to ensure children and adults with asd PDA receive the correct support it is key to their success in life.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202680
    Hi,
    I was the main Petitioner of the Scottish Petition to raise the awareness and recognition Pathological Demand Avoidance .
    I found evidence going back to 2006 that PDA had been discussed in the Scottish Parliament . The first case in Scotland was recognised in Glasgow by an Inspirational Team , they were diagnosed by Professor Newson at Nottingham . Phil Christie was part of that original team in 1998.

What the Scottish Government are doing is to have an “ ongoing conversation “about PDA and this will be followed through with a report .

What most people are failing to understand is that Scottish Education  Laws are different , it’s “needs based “. A formal diagnosis is NOT required under the Additional Support for Learning Act , they have to GIRFEC , Get it right for every child , and under the Wellbeing Wheel they have a duty to protect a child’s mental health , that means they have to use PDA Strategies .

Some of the information that the campaigners have posted about where a diagnosis cannot be obtained  is inaccurate . I suggest you look on the PDA Forum where  there is a weath of information . 

In Scotland it does not matter if your local CAMHS do not recognise PDA . The LA are in breech of Education Laws if they do not use PDA Strategies .

You do not need a formal diagnosis for a CSP , Co-ordinated Support Plan either .
    I strongly suggest anyone living in Scotland contacts Enquire for further advice .

LEADScotland are also extremely helpful .

This is how the Scottish Petition started , I was told I needed a diagnosis to get support for my youngest child since his second year at the High School . Found out too late I didn’t ! There were numerous Education Laws breeched between my two boys . So many so called professionals failed us .

I hope this clarifies the situation for Scotland . Sadly it’s being used as a double edged sword , Parents are being told they do not need a diagnosis and too many issues eg LD , SPD , ADHD are being missed . 

I believe the Laws are similar in Northern Ireland too. We have so many anomalies in the System even within a CAMHS , where one Consultant recognises PDA and another won’t .

The first case in the Borders was recognised and diagnosed  in September 2017by Adult Services Learning Difficulties Mental Health Team , yet as far as we are aware CAMHS and Adult Services have not as yet given a diagnosis .

There is a mass of work going on behind the scenes to promote PDA in Scotland .
    The only place that I am aware who will give a private diagnosis in Scotland , they are new so as yet not recognised by the PDA Society but are extremly proactive in the ASD - PDA field ,are Autism Academy UK at St Andrews . 

Just looking at the original list there a number of places in Glasgow where you can get a diagnosis , Fife too. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.