Advice on P.I.P assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on P.I.P assessment

bevt2017
bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone!
I've already Been through the P.I.P process, but i have never had an assessent before.
I applied for P.I.P in July 2016.
After nearly a year, I won my appeal in court.
My husband had to leave work to look after me in November 2016, but could not receive careers, until I received P.I.P.
When he did apply for careers allowance in July 2017.
He didn't receive anything till November 2017. 
Since the court appeal my condition has got worse.
I've had a lot of help from the careers sociey, and they have fitted my house with disability equipment.
But when my husband asked if they could help us with a scooter for me, they said they couldn't because i wasn't on the higher rate of P.I.P.
I already have a wheelchair, but it's hard for my husband to push me around. He has a bad shoulder, so pushing me makes it worse.
Then just before Xmas we lost are car. 
My husband looked into leasing a car for me, but yet again couldn't because I was not on the higher rate of P.I.P.
Reluctantly I decided I would try for the higher rate of P.I.P.
This morning I recieved a letter for an assessent.
I've heard a lot of horrfic story's about assessents, so need some advice
Thank you

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevt2017
    I know there are lots of bad stories about assessments on here, but maybe the people who have smooth assessments just arent on here talking about it as they don't need any advice?

We have a video here about preparing for your PIP assessment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs

From personal experience, you need to make sure you are telling them about your worst days and how often you have those days.  Explain about how much worse you are now compared to when you got PIP in 2016.

There are tips here about going for an assessment.

If you have lots of difficulties in getting out and about, you could request a home visit.

Gather as much evidence as possible about the changes in your impairment since 2016.

Best of luck!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • bevt2017
    Hi @Sam_Scope
    thank you for the Lync about going to assessments.
    but unfortunately I couldn't watch the video I'm profoundly deaf. (maybe someone could do a video for deaf people)?
    my husband did contact them about transport, they told him I could get a taxi, and they would pay me for my expenses? he also told them that I'm deaf, and that the person doing the assessment, will have to write everything down for me.
    I have been told I can ask the assessor to show me what they are writing about me in the assessment?
    I have paid £30 for up to date letters from my doctors, consultants ect (I'm just waiting on 1 more) 
    my dairy is up to date now, and I'm just finishing my letter about my daily routine.
    I have pics of all my infections, letters from doctors, hospital appointment letters, hospital procedure letters, patient medication history, court order, court statement, everything I have sent to P.I.P and the courts, and complaints letters about my treatment with P.I.P. 
    my husband is coming with me because I cant travel on my own, and he knows more about my disability's than me.
    hopefully I have a good assessment? either way I will let you know.
    Thanx Sam
    Bev :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevt2017

If you watch it through youtube, you can click on the button on the bottom on the video that says CC and this will bring up the subtitles.

We also have this version with British Sign Language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOO4VqKd6c
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • bevt2017
    Hi @Sam_Scope

Thank you! :)

I've had a letter from DWP this afternoon, they have cancelled my appointment?
    No explanation why on the letter?
    So my husband has just rang them.
    They told him that the assessment had to be cancelled, because they didn't have a text link?
    So my husband asked them, "why cant the person write it down instead"? they said it would take far to long?
    I just don't agree with their excuse, they know I'm prouvondly deaf, I have been since July 2016.
    This is the second appointment I've had, the first had to be rearranged because it was to far for me to travel.
    He did ask about them about coming to my home instead of me travelling, but they just said, that was only done in exceptional cases? (mines not)?
    I don't know how long I will have to wait? so I'm just going to send in the other evidence.
    I'm so mad right now.
    I will let you know how I get on.
    thanx Sam
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevt2017, sorry to hear about the above. Has there been any progress?
  • bevt2017
    Hi @PippaScope
    Yes! I've got another appointment this morn for the 22nd Feb. 
    My husband just rang them, just to confirm they have a txt linc available. They said "yes" there tech guys have ordered it in?
    They said they haven't recieved the other evidence yet?
    We send everything signed delivery only. And they only recieved it at 13.45pm today.
    So just waiting now. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Best of luck @bevt2017, we'll be thinking of you! Glad to hear that things have been put into place. Do keep us updated and let us know if there's anything we can assist you with in the meantime.
  • cooper1965
    cooper1965 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Sorry to here about your problems with the pip procces. I have been through this with my wife myself.you are entitled to a home visit if your conition applied.i had to see my mp as my wife was in no condition to travel.after intervention from my mp all of a sudden a home visit was arranged.then out of the blue a phone call from a former state reg nurse working for the pip called after a 5 min consultation and reviewing medical evidence (10 PAGES)a ten year award of higher rate pip was awarded.so good luck with your claim.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't give up on not being allowed a home vist, they will pay for a taxi to and from the acessment you pay then claim back make sure they agree before hand good luck. 
  • bevt2017
    Hi @cooper1965 and @wilko
    Thank you for your support.
    I've sent emails to my local MP, so fingers crossed I hear from her soon?
    Interesting! My husband told me, that the women from P.I.P, who said I can't have a home visit. Said they take into acoount how I get to my doctor? That's really strange, I've never heard that before?
    They did Say They would pay me back for a taxi? We will see.
    Anyway thank you again
    Bev
  • cooper1965
    cooper1965 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Good luck bev hope all goes well
    I also gave up work to look after my wife about 9 years ago.if all goes well and you do get higher rate pip feel free to contact me as I have been there regarding pip.mobility.council tax relief etc i wish you and your husband a good result        Neil

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.