Freedom pass for non London residents — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Freedom pass for non London residents

Options
kelvinpaul
kelvinpaul Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I visited London for the weekend tecently and was very angry to be honest that as a non London residents l cannot get free transport around various locations. Greater london blue badge holders it seems can yravel all over the UK using there badges and have the same advantages as the rest of us with the added advantage of yraveling around the capital on.buses trains underground and even the river for free. Now the mayor of London and his predecessors SAY that LONDON is a WELOMING AND INCLUSIVE CITY.  Well based on my experience of being a blue badge holder living outside of LONDON it feels like l and other non London disabled are being discriminated against. After all London disabled people can have the freedom to travel and use their blue badge as the rest of us around the UK and yet we it seems are not aforded that same privilege. I may be wrong but is this the case in other cities towns counties etc. My blue badge is usable in the EU and lm not aware of this happening there but if it is it is TRULY SHAMEFUL.
I WAS SHOCKED AND DISAPOINTED THAT MY CAPITAL CITY DISCRIMINATES AGAINST DISABLED PEOPLE LIVING OUTSIDE OF LONDON IN THIS MANNER. Even before it is said that their daily costs would be high for traveling around so are mine as many other disabled people incure costs too and any concessions are greatfully received. Im not asking for special treatment only equal and fair treatment when visiting the Capital. If any one knows how to apply for free transport for London or has a view on this l would be greatful. I cannot beleive this has been allowed or some support organisation has not pressued the mayir for London to expand this for ALL UK or even any EU citizen or infact any disabled petson on this planet.
Regards Kelvin

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kelvinpaul, sorry to hear about your recent experiences. You've made some good points about the additional costs of disability, and it's a shame that the Freedom Pass isn't available to those outside London.

Whilst it doesn't fully resolve the issue, I did find this information on the Freedom Pass Website which may be useful if you have a concessionary bus pass:
    Concessionary bus passes from outside London
    If you're from outside London and have a bus pass issued by another English council, you can use it, at any time, to travel free on buses displaying the red roundel.
    You should show your pass to the driver; at the moment they can't be read by the yellow card readers. If the bus you're on doesn't display the red roundel, check with the driver if you can use it; most will let you travel free between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays, and at any time on weekends and public holidays.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    It's no different to no other city - you can't get free travel (apart from using your bus pass, which is usually only free after 9.30am) in other cities you don't normally reside in. Why should London be any different?
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options
    :/ If you're from outside London and have a bus pass issued by another English council, you can use it, at any time, to travel free on buses displaying the red roundel.
    Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/39908/freedom-pass-for-non-london-residents#tM3Tq3tU8QplyzbM.99

WHY IS THIS DISCRMINATION AGAINST OTHER UK RESIDENTS ALLOWED?
    ENGLAND ONLY?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.