If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Austistic specific support?

SystemSystem Posts: 397 Scope community team
edited January 2018 in Autism and Aspergers
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello from darkest Oxfordshire :o).

Replies

• SusiQSusiQ Posts: 10Member Connected

Much appreciated - Many thanks!

Wondered if anyone could help me with a current problem (this may have to be transferred into a different section!)... I was referred for an Adult and Social Care Assessment in November 2016 (yes that DOES read 2016!!!). I have just received notification that a Social Worker has been allocated to perform the Assessment.

I have never been involved with Social Services/County Council provision before, so I am unsure of what to expect. I do know from experience that the stock phrase that is used by many Clinicians in these circumstances is "What can we help you with" which is a question that must save millions as most people have NO idea of what is offered or what they may be entitled to... 

I did speak to the Autism Advisor connected to Social Care in 2016 who advised me that these Assessments are quite tricky for Autistic individuals as most of the questions are related to physical disability and that, unless I want some grab rails (which I don't) then it may be limited in scope (no pun intended!)

Are there any nuances within either the Disability Act or the Autism Act (or indeed in any of the Social Care guidelines) that may assist me in receiving Autism specific mentoring, Advocacy, employment support etc etc?

Any help would be appreciated

Sign in or join us to comment.