If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance

kittykathkittykath Posts: 3Member Listener
My mum recently had a bad fall and this has caused problems with her mobility.  I currently work 20 hours a week and am considering cutting my hours down to care for her more. She currently gets attendance allowance. My question really is would i automatically be entitled to carers allowance because mum claims this. I can't afford to cut my hours without knowing that i would get carers allowance.  Thanks

Replies

• debsidoodebsidoo Posts: 216Member Chatterbox
    Hi Kittykath.
    Carers allowance can affect other benefits you or your mum get.I would contact the jobcentre first to discuss your options before making a decision.You could seek advice from CAB if you want help before contacting jobcentre.
      Debsidoo.x
  • kittykathkittykath Posts: 3Member Listener
    Thanks for the reply. Neither of us gets any other benefits x
  • spire2003spire2003 Posts: 25Member Whisperer
    Your take home pay from work needs to be max £116. Goes up to £120 in April. If you get minimum wage & have no other income you would need to drop your hours down to 15. I am currently going through this process as I care for my wife. 
  • kittykathkittykath Posts: 3Member Listener
    Thanks for that info. I had to calculate what would happen when we get a pay rise so if it goes up to £120 i can calculate off that x
  • spire2003spire2003 Posts: 25Member Whisperer
    I'm just getting my pay down to right amount. I'm gonna wait a couple of months then I'll have a few payslips to send with right figures. You can backdate claim 3 months. 
  • TopkittenTopkitten Posts: 798Member Chatterbox
    Carers allowance always needs to be checked out properly because it clashes with the Disability Premium benefit. You cannot have both so sometimes, to get it, the disabled persons benefit can be reduced by the same amount leaving people no better off.

It doesn't sound like that problem would exist in this case but it is best to check to make sure.

TK
    I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I am all out of bubblegum -- They Live 80 something cult film.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,385Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi kittykath,

Does your mom receive Pension Credit? Within PC, there is an additional premium called Severe Disability Premium that someone can get if they get AA, live alone and don't have a carer claiming CA for them. This is almost the same amount as Carer's Allowance and will be stopped if you claim Carer's Allowance. If your mom's income is too high for Pension Credit and Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction then there will be no effect to her income if you claim Carer's Allowance. 

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Will Hadwen
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

Sign in or join us to comment.