If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance

bev79bev79 ListenerPosts: 12Member Listener
edited February 2018 in Carer's allowance
Hi i have just been told tht I have been awarded carers allowance and that its been backdated from October 2017 but I wont get any money because I am on. Esa and because of this esa has to look at my benefit again. Does this mean that i might not get my backdated payment from october for carers allowance, or is it carers premium I can get backdated thanks

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Disability Gamechanger Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi bev and welcome

Do you have IR element to your ESA ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • bev79bev79 Listener Posts: 12Member Listener
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Disability Gamechanger Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    You should be entitled to Carers Premium, back dated

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    How do I go about that or does it go back aitomatic
    Do I get the cares primium automatically or do I need to ask thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Pioneering Posts: 2,677Member Pioneering
    Hi bev79,

Your arrears of the carer premium should be automatically paid to you but it may take a short while. 
    What happens is that although you get £62.70 CA, your ESA is reduced to ensure that you are overall better off by £34.95. CA have to get in  contact with ESA and will do what they call a recovery - meaning that because you get ESA you can't be paid your full Carer's Allowance arrears of £62.70 as you are only entitled to £34.95 of it. You'll get it, but you might have to wait a bit for it.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • DaveDeeDaveDee Connected Posts: 22Member Connected
    My wife claimed CARERS Allowance for looking after me following serious injury 9 years ago. Was not entitled at first as was on E.S.A. herself. Her benefit stopped and did not qualify for further benefit. Only has CA now. As I am now on State retirement and PIP, no longer on esa, should my wife now get FULL allowance as only paid part due to my E.S.A. 
    Which ended end of November?
    Ok so I’ve already had my first payment of CA so it’s just a waiting game now as to when the backdated premium money is backdated as when I phone up they tell me they waitingnon ESA getting back to them with how much 
    How long after my first payment does the backpay take thanks 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Disability Gamechanger Posts: 13,346Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    bev79 said:
    How long after my first payment does the backpay take thanks 
    You'll need to ring Carers Allowance and ask them. As already stated CA have to contact ESA first to find out how much has to be paid back to them. Once this is done they will then pay you the backdated Carers Premium. Could take a few weeks because it all depends how quick ESA reply to Carers Allowance with the info needed.
    ESA have finally replied to carers allowance they said they need to email someone then I have to phone through the week to see what’s happening wonder how long now anyone know thanks
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Disability Gamechanger Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bev79, sorry that I don't have an answer as to how long it will take, but I hope this process will be as quick as possible for you. Do keep us updated!
    Will do pippa thanks x
    Phoned today again it’s with the processing team so not waiting on them to sort it out and get money I’ve been waiting on finally
Sign in or join us to comment.