If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance and free school meals

sevdasevda Posts: 1Member Listener
Hi, could I claim for carers allowance I'm paid by family and friends for looking after my disabled grandaughter and could I claim for free school meals.tnx

Replies

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 4,873Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @sevda, and welcome to the community!

To see whether you may be eligible for Carers Allowance, I'd advise having a look at this EntitledTo guidance on the benefit, and also putting your details into the online benefits calculator to see what you may be eligible to claim.

For free school meals, enter your postcode into this gov.uk search to see whether you may be eligible and how to apply. Hope this helps and do come back to us with any questions!
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,495Member, Community advisor Chatterbox

Hi Sevda,

For Carer's Allowance, if the granddaughter (I'm assuming she's a child under 16) receives either the middle or high rate of the care component of DLA, and no one else claims Carer's Allowance for her already, then yes, you could claim.

Only thing to watch for is that there is an earnings threshold of 116.00/week so if your payments from family and any other work you do are formal payments and exceed this your earnings may be over.

As regards free school meals, Carer's Allowance isn't a qualifying benefit, but if you get any of the benefits below you should qualify - if you don't get them - do you know the reason why? Maybe we can explain more...

Income Supportincome-based Jobseeker’s Allowanceincome-related Employment and Support Allowancesupport under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999the guaranteed element of Pension CreditChild Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax CreditUniversal Credit

https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,495Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Apologies Sevda - I meant that to be a list!
    Income Supportincome-based Jobseeker’s Allowanceincome-related Employment and Support Allowancesupport under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999the guaranteed element of Pension CreditChild Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax CreditUniversal Credit
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.