Dealing with chronic pain
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Fibromyalgia

JeanybJeanyb Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2018 in Dealing with chronic pain
Im just wondering how fellow Fibro sufferers find their symptoms progress. Has anyone found they have improved at all? Or is it just a steady decline. I’m trying to improve my mobility but it seems to be a loosing battle. I can’t walk far, if I push myself to walk farther I just end up in so much pain!

Replies

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jeanyb

Welcome to the community, there is a good post here by @Jojo1977 about fibromyalgia you might like to read.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    Fraid its ALL down hill.
    Mophine and codine take tha edge off but nothing stops the pain 
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger

Some information about fibromyalgia on the NHS website:

Although there's currently no cure for fibromyalgia, there are treatments to help relieve some of the symptoms and make the condition easier to live with.
    Treatment tends to be a combination of:
    • lifestyle changes – such as exercise programmes and relaxation techniques
    Exercise in particular has been found to have a number of important benefits for people with fibromyalgia, including helping to reduce pain.
    Read more about: Fibromyalgia Action UK is a charity that offers information and support to people with fibromyalgia. If you have any questions about fibromyalgia, call the charity's helpline on 0300 999 3333.
    The charity also has a network of local support groups you may find helpful and a online community, where you can find out about news, events and ongoing research into the condition.
    Another support group you may find useful is UK Fibromyalgia.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear about your pain, @jamie1965. It's clear that you care about your parter a lot- you might like to have a look at Carers UK and the work they do to see if they could offer any support to them.
  • jamie1965jamie1965 Member Posts: 85 Courageous
    I will have a look thank you it’s very hard it feels like we on our own to cope but reading some of the issues others are having with illness and benefits makes you see that not enough is being done to help what is the point of all the talk from government agencies when it is left to charities to do give help that they meant to give it breaks my heart hearing what others are going thru 
    Have found a web site for sufferers and family for fibromyalgia it is www.fmauk.org there is pack in there to give more info on the condition you can down load it on this link 
    http://www.fmauk.org/dmdocuments/Medical%20Pack.pdf
  • JeanybJeanyb Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I’m not sure if people are aware of this group http://letsgetfibrointoparliament.simplesite.com/433644242
    who are trying to get Fibromyalgia recognised as a disability in the England. They are collecting signatures and recently had a meeting with an MP.
    They also have a FB page for those on FB

Thanks for the comments and links, I’ll have a read.
    @jamie1965 I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I know what you mean when you talk about your husband becoming your carer and the guilt that goes along with that! 
    I had to give up working 3 years ago, I just don’t have the energy. It’s difficult to get out of bed in the morning so I couldn’t make it to work. I have problems finding the right words when talking and working on the telephone made it impossible to carry on. Brain fog was bad at the time too, an awful symptom to work with. 
    Im seeing a Physio at the moment and she seems to think she can improve my mobility, I’m sceptical but I’ll give it a go. I’m going to try swimming but I just find it so tiring getting undressed and dressed again!
    I don’t take many painkillers though I’ve taken paracetamol and ibuprofen this morning for my arthritis pain.
    Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.
    I had all the physical theapy went on for mo th and CBT as well it helped at the begging but as this has progressed no longer any help I still do the stretches but most days can not complete pain and stiffness to much so then have to take my pain meds and need to sleep again funny thing is cannot sleep at night no matter what meds I take up every other hour wake up with pain go to sleep with pain I to worked on the phones and my issues where getting into work and once there trying to stay focused I asked for training for work away from the phone which reluctantly they had to provide I asked if o can have a laptop as this is a reasonable adjustment to work from home but they fighting me on this if I had accepted there offer to become a manager then it would not be a problem but because I did not the it seems to be an issue I told them I hope this never happens to you cause if it does you won’t cope. I had one of the section managers make a comment when she thought no one was listening that it is all in my mind that doctors give pain meds just to get rid of you I was fuming if this is what they think what kind of culture are they making for any disabled person to work in 
    @jamie1965 I don’t think anyone knows what it’s like unless they go through it. Managers can be ruthless, I guess they’re just doing their job but they don’t have to be so cruel. Those “reasonable adjustments” had been made for me at work too. I did eventually get to work at home, so much easier, but then that became a struggle, I was in so much pain.
    i try to stay away from the Drs now because whatever I go about they just say it’s the fibromyalgia! 
    Dido I fell down the stairs and gave my self concussion I was sent to the hospital from work cause doctor said it just part of my condition when I tried to expalin the weakness on my left hand side and the when I fell could not grip the railing the hospital said it is nothing to do with your fibro you have narrowing I. Your spine and neck now have to look forward to an opp while still fighting these jokers at work for a laptop 
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 618 Pioneering
    i have had ME for about 5 years but have only just got a diagnosis and my doctor also diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I can't believe how much the fibromyalgia had affected my life. The lack of sleep the pain and I am always completely exhausted. Fortunately I work for myself but I am having trouble getting myself motivated to do anything at the moment as I am just so tired!

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,075 Scope community team
    Hi @deb74, I imagine it was a shock to receive the diagnosis. How are you doing? I can understand why it'd be hard to be motivated with limited energy, what's your job?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Hi Chloe_Scope. I am in a bit of  pain at the moment but I am ok! I have used to have a gift shop but I closed that due to lack of trade. I am a craftworker and now sell my work in a local craft shop on a commission basis. I also do craft fairs and markets. I have also setting up a shop on Etsy. 
  • TobiasTobias Member - under moderation Posts: 46 Courageous
    Jeanyb said:
    Im just wondering how fellow Fibro sufferers find their symptoms progress. Has anyone found they have improved at all? Or is it just a steady decline. I’m trying to improve my mobility but it seems to be a loosing battle. I can’t walk far, if I push myself to walk farther I just end up in so much pain!
    Decline!
  • TobiasTobias Member - under moderation Posts: 46 Courageous
    jamie1965 said:
    Have found a web site for sufferers and family for fibromyalgia it is www.fmauk.org there is pack in there to give more info on the condition you can down load it on this link 
    http://www.fmauk.org/dmdocuments/Medical%20Pack.pdf
    Have you ever been offered to go to St Thomas' pain clinic in London? its over the road from the London eye..
    Hi @deb74, that sounds lovely! I always love getting things from Etsy!

I hope your pain isn't too high. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Hi Chloe_Scope. Pain isn't too bad today. I bought some hemp balm yesterday (didn't fancy using the oil) going to start using it soon. Hope it works. Started Etsy page but only got a name so far. I need to make more stock before I start putting things on there.
    I'm glad the pain isn't too bad today @deb74! I hope the hemp balm is helpful for you. It sounds like you're making steady progress with your etsy shop which is amazing!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Hi Chloe_Scope. I am hoping to have the shop up and running by the end of next month.
    That's exciting! Please do let us know how you get on!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Chloe_scope Pain decided to come back today. Had to use my crutches for a while until I go going. Had horrible night last night. Still awake 2 hours after I went to bed (no surprise there) every time I rolled over I was in agony and my legs were really painful. it feels like someone is trying to pull my legs off every time I try and put one foot in front of the other. I have read loads of stuff saying that fibro is non progressive but have any of the people who wrote that stuff every lived with it. it is definatley progressing for me! Sorry for the moan. As for my craft work I am looking at buying a loom so I can make rugs. Already got a small loom but it is not big enough to make rugs. 
    You're not moaning at all @deb74! We are always here if you want to talk. I'm so sorry you had such a bad night, I imagine you are feeling very tired this morning! 

I hope you can have a relaxing day today, and maybe catch up on some sleep. :)

A loom sounds amazing! I have a friend who has one, and she is making a blanket with hers. You'll have to let us know how you find it.
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 225 Pioneering
    Hi all i to suffer bad big hugs to you all with this horrid condition 
    Good morning @Toffee! How are you feeling today?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    The loom isn't a proper weaving loom it is a peg loom. They are easier to use and take up much less room. I live in a small cottage so wouldn't have room for a proper weaving loom but I will be weaving rugs with old sheets and bed covers that I have bought from charity shops. The one I have already got is ok to weave door mats and runners.If I feel better tomorrow I will have a go at weaving a door mat. 
    Ah! Yes, that's the same as my friends! She loves it!

I hope you are feeling up to it tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be great. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • ricky1040ricky1040 Member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hey. Well in my experience it's very very unpredictable. All you can do is try and make sure you are doing all the right things to limit your suffering and improve your quality of life. Try eat good take vitamins do whatever exercise u can reasonably cope with and enjoy the good times. I have gone through a real transformation since I stopped the heavy painkillers and started physio and healthier living. But it's not a dead set thing. Its trial and error. Am sure the medicines work for some. Good luck I hope u get some quality of life with it. You only live once after all.
    Some very good advice there @ricky1040, thank you. :)

I think it all can really be a balancing act, but it sounds like you have a strong foundation which will really help!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Good afternoon chloe very very tired no engery at all how are you xx
    Good afternoon @Toffee! I'm struggling with energy today as well, luckily I'm feeling a bit better than I did this morning!

How do you occupy yourself when you have low energy levels?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Chloe_Scope. Feeling a bit wobbly this morning.woke up with a massive headache but it has gone now. Also feel a bit stiff but I am sure it will all wear off soon. I have just ordered my new loom and can't wait for it to arrive! Also I am expecting my soldering iron to arrive today so I will be spending the next couple of days playing with that until my loom arrives.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,488 Scope community team
    Hope you feel a bit better for the rest of the day @deb74 and let us know how you get on with the soldering iron. Do you have any projects in mind for your new tool? :smiley:
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Hi Adrian-scope I feel a bit better now thanks.. I have several projects I want do I make wreaths using fabric rags but I am hoping to make some using a plastic mesh called deco mesh but it frays as soon as you cut it which is why I wanted the soldering iron so I can melt the ends of the mesh to stop it fraying. I also want to make jewellery with plastic from bottles but I will need to melt it to make the jewellery. I may also play at making wire sculptures. My imagination tends to run away with me sometimes!
    A bit disappointed my soldering iron hasn't arrived, Hopefully it will be here tomorrow
    Hi chloe 
    My bed always wins I can't keep awake I have to have a cap nap to recharge myself its awful.. I feel lazy but I can't help it x
    Sounds like you’ve got a lot planned @deb74. Make sure to share your creations with us when you’re finished. :) Hope it arrives today!
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Hi  Adrian_Scope.I am really looking forward to using the soldering iron. I have just spoken to the person I have am getting the loom from and hopefully I will get that sometime next week. I will try to share some photos with you but I am not very atgood with things like that. 
    Morning @deb74, I hope you are feeling okay today. :)

It sounds like you've got some really interesting projects on the go! The wreaths sound really good. :)

Hi @Toffee, sometimes we all need that extra bit of rest! I hope you are feeling okay this morning.
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Hi Chloe_Scope. Not feeling too bad now. woke up with banging head ache as usual but it has gone now. Feeling a bit wobbly and my wrists and fingers are aching but I am sure I will feel better later!
    I hope you do feel better later! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Thanks.I am sure I will. I am getting used to life with this disease know so I am not surprised by the things it throws at me it is beginning to be part of everyday life. I am thinking of starting to write a blog about living with fibro but I am not sure if it will be it will be worth it or if I will be wasting my time!
    It's understandable that it will take some time to get used to. I have found that writing a blog is a powerful outlet for myself. I'm sure it'd be great if you decided to start one! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
     I Will give it a go! I
    have found a website that shows you how to start a blog.  Postman has just been. My soldering iron stil hasn't arrived!
    A shame it hasn't arrived yet but hopefully won't be too much longer! If you need any help with uploading pictures to the community please let me know and I can try and put together a guide. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Ah that's annoying @deb74! Looming today?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Hi Chloe_Scope. I need to get some more string before I start weaving again. I have been sorting out my blog. It was so easy to do. I have written my intro page and it should be up and running in the next couple of days.
    Ah I get you @deb74!

That's so exciting! What platform are you using? I used to be on Blogger, but now use WordPress. I hope you've enjoyed doing it. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    hi Chloe_Scope. Not sure about the platform. I don't even know what a platform is but wordpress sounds familiar. 
    Hi Adrian_Scope. Only just seen your message. Thanks. I will need help with uploading the photos. 
    Morning @deb74, the platform is the programme you are using to write your blog on. :)

How are you doing this morning?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Gm all big hugs to all hope you all have a good day xx
    Hi Chloe_Scope, I am still non the wiser I have done it through simplesites I don't really know anything about setting up websites. I am a bit of a technophobe. I don't feel too bad this morning I have got cramp in my hands and am stuggling to straighten my fingers and had a headache but that has gone now!
    That's okay @deb74, as long as you're enjoying it!!

I hope your hands ease soon. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Hi Chloe_Scope. I am sure they will be better later. I have just been and got some string to start weaving again. Been to the craft shop that sells my stuff and told her about the rugs and they don't have anyone making rugs so I will make a few up and sell them in there. just about to pay for the loom. I am really looking forward to using it. soldering iron still hasn't arrived. I am not very happy. I bought it over a week ago!
    That's great news about the rugs! I'm sure they'll be amazing. :)

I'm not surprised, fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow before the bank holiday!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Hi chloe_Scope . My fingers are still a bit stiff but not too bad I am just setting up my loom to make a runner to take to the shop. I have just had an email about the loom I have ordered I should have it by the end of next week. 
    I hope they continue to ease this afternoon. :)

I bet that'll look so good! 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
Sign in or join us to comment.