If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

CARERS Allowance shortfall.

DaveDeeDaveDee Posts: 22Member Connected
After Industrial Injury to both heelbones my wife was unable to claim as she too was on ESA at time of my DLA & PIP. After 9 years wife able to claim CA for me after losing her ESA, but  paid less than full allowance because I had ESA with extra allowed for carer and supprt group. Now am retired at 65 and ESA replaced with State Pension, wife just gets £ 62 CA, is there a shortfall in her payment or my pension as Now do not get extra for my wife being my carer?

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 13,541Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Those that claim state pension can't be paid Carers Allowance. If pension credit is claimed then they can't get extra ontop of this.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,677Member Pioneering
    DaveDee,
    If you are now of state pension age and your wife is not, then you getting state pension and your wife getting CA sounds right. £62.70 is the correct amount of carer's allowance.

I'm wondering if your wife might also be entitled to PIP, or whether she has ever tried to claim industrial injuries disablement benefit? It really does depend on how badly the injury affects her, though.

The way to see if you can get extra because of your wife being your carer is to claim Pension Credit, if you haven't already. Pension Credit is a benefit which looks at your circumstances and income. It can include an amount to reflect caring.

You can claim pension credit by phone. Even if you can't get pension credit, you might be entitled to housing benefit or council tax support from your local authority. For example, housing benefit has a calculation which includes a carer premium & this can help you to get help.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • DaveDeeDaveDee Posts: 22Member Connected
    Thanks for your advices but wife failed PIP a few years ago and despite my asking her to retry she feels intimidated by the process. Cannot claim Housing Benefit as am outright homeowner. Turned down for Pension Credit so seems older disabled people just have to rattle on by in life with less benefits to assist. Other peope we know get pension credit and husbands have £thousands from working and travel the world on holidays galore. Just re read your comments and may have misled you as it was myself with shattered heelbones after falling from top of a lorry I drove. Think it is Ind Injy Ben stopping pension credit DIABOLICAL.
Sign in or join us to comment.