Nicotine and bipolar — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nicotine and bipolar

Options
rich_hobbs_1
rich_hobbs_1 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
hi has anyone found that nicotine helps eleviate physicotic symptoms of bipolar I am 36 years old and suffer with bipolar and ocd and I am really struggling at the moment due to being almost intolerant to medication I’m at my whits end as to try and self medicate but I refuse to take drugs and I can’t stand alcohol smoking a vape seems to be my last option I have never smoked taken drugs or used alcohol in the past and really need some advice from anyone who knows or has bipolar my gp is useless and my physiatrists is way to busy 
any help or info will be much appreciated 
please help I try to exercise regularly and try to get out as much as I can but when I’m not well I have to isolate myself from humanity so I’m pretty much alone 24/7 I have no friends that have bipolar or family members who really understand bipolar so any advice from anyone who knows about bipolar or has personal experience will be much comforting 
many thanks 
richard 

Comments

• Javali
    Javali Scope Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hey Richard 

I have Bipolar. I'll try to vape then haha. 

The drugs work with me (Olanzapine 15mg) but I had two episodes caused by traumatic events (I had a stroke and a year later my mom had breast cancer), smoking cannabis and... Exercise. I now walk 10000 to 15000 steps a day but no exercise as I find that running and gym makes me go nuts. Everyone is different. 

I quit drinking. Is a thing that I should've done in the past. And it's difficult. 

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @rich_hobbs_1

Welcome to the community! :) 

I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge in this area. I would advise that it would be best to speak to your GP or pharmacist about what would work best for you. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.