Feeling low as a carer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling low as a carer

Options
Terri55
Terri55 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Am parent and carer to adult son on the spectrum..currently having a down period,happens a fair bit..i have no real life and neither does my son..Sorr to start on a negative note but thats why i signed up..Cheers all,,,x

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Terry55

Good Evening & Welcome!!!

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current problems.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you in anyway ?????

Thanks.
  • Terri55
    Terri55 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi ..thanks for the welcome.
    Every now and then life gets on top of me i guess,this is currently one of those times i guess one just needs to vent now and then particularly to people in similar situations.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Terry55

A very very big welcome it’s great to meet you!!!!

Feel free to vent away on your site “that’s what we are here 4”

Please please let me know if you need any more help/advice???
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Terri55 and welcome to the community.
    You truly don't need to apologize for starting 'on a negative note' - we're here precisely to listen to them, and to try to offer help and support where we can.
    I have worked in the past with youngsters (11 to 18 year olds) on the spectrum and, in some cases, have wondered how on earth their parents would be able to cope with them when they became older. I know, too, that we parents of disabled children (I used to be, till she passed away) DO cope and keep, somehow coping, because there isn't really any alternative. It's a very tough existence to survive.
    So we are here, listening. Vent away! And tell us anything you think might help us to find ways to help you.
    You are among friends here and you will find lots of others on here in similar situations.
    Please keep in touch.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Terri55, and welcome to the community! It's great to have you here and I really hope we can help. Being a carer can be a really isolating experience, and I hope you find comfort in knowing that you're not alone: take a look through our parents and carers discussions, and feel free to join in.

I wonder if you've looked into ASD groups and social events in your area? If you're comfortable sharing your location I'd be happy to do this, or if you have a look on Google you may be able to find local causes who can support you with this-it can be a great way of both accessing support and meeting new people!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.