Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Specialist in CP?

heidibuckellheidibuckell Member Posts: 8 Courageous
edited February 2018 in Cerebral Palsy
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has ever come across a doctor who specialises in Cerebral Palsy. I am 38 years old and would value the opportunity to talk to a specialist, mainly about living with CP as you get older. (Obviously I am still relatively young but I will not be getting any younger!) and have noticed that most of the help/advise is designed for children.
 At the moment I have a problem with my jaw which I posted about last month in the 'coffee lounge.' I am going to see a Neurologist this week but he/she will be a 'general' neurologist and therefore just wondered whether there is a more specialist medical professional 
Best wishes 


  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @heidibuckell,

    Apologies if you've tried this already, but have you considered talking to your GP about your needs and asking for a referral to a specialist? It may be that they know somebody suitable who'll be able to help. Alternatively, you may like to look at this organisation's page on their services for adults with CP.
  • BillBill Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hi @heidibuckell ,
    I guess that you were welcomed in the replies to your first post. If not, let me welcome you to the community.
    Scope, is a pan disability charity, (which now covers all conditions) and I, as an older (61) member with CP, have not found " ...a doctor who specialises in CP... ". There are people with plenty of experience which can probably help, but it seems doctors use CP as a 'catch all' term, not a condition that they specialise in. I'm sorry that I do not have a more positive response, but the community is strong in other areas.
    I hope this is useful.
  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,090 Scope community team
    Hello @heidibuckell
    Great to talk with you. There are not many if any people you specialise solely in Cerebral Palsy as it can have many different effects on individuals. Any consultant worth their salt should be aware of your CP before the consultation and then factor that into any treatment plan. This is what I have found, when I have had problems escalated to consultant level. We are both of a similar 'vintage' so I am happy to talk through the wonderful ageing process with you.
    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy
  • heidibuckellheidibuckell Member Posts: 8 Courageous
    Hi, quite new on here so don't know whether how you reply to individuals but thank you for your replies, I didn't think there was a doctor who specialised in CP but just thought I would ask. (I am not a fan of doctors anyway!)
  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,090 Scope community team
    Hi @heidibuckell
    Your replies are seen by all on the thread or those who have set their notifications to follow this discussion. You can tag people by using the @ and then their name.
    I completely agree with you on the doctors front!

    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy
Sign in or join us to comment.