If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Is my works pension classed as income in a carers allowance claim ?

RonaldoRonaldo Posts: 5Member Listener

After a difficult few months I am now having to re-apply to get carers allowance again after my wife's PIP was stopped and has now been reinstated. I was made redundant 12 years ago so I took out an early works pension which is paid to me monthly. I do not have a state pension. The online claim form is now asking if I have any 'other income', but the last claim I made never asked me about this, only if I was in employment or not. Can you please tell me if my works pension is classed as an income by the DWP, and if it will effect my carers allowance claim ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Replies

• BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,677Member Pioneering
    Hi Ronaldo,

Your works pension will not affect your entitlement to Carer's Allowance. The only income that counts is if you are working and earning more than £116 from employment. I know you said you don't get a state pension. Is that because you are not old enough yet, or because you have deferred it?

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • RonaldoRonaldo Posts: 5Member Listener
    edited February 2018

Hi Lee.

Thank you for your reply, that's cleared it up. I was worried in case I had got it wrong the first time I claimed, and I thought maybe I should have declared my works pension as  'earnings'. I was dreading that I had made a mistake and have to pay the CA back.

I am 62, so not old enough for my state pension.

It does seem a little confusing and contradictory to some though seeing that as it's not a means tested benefit, but yet working and earning more than £116 would effect the claim. But in any case, there is no way I could return back to work because of my wife's illness.

Thanks again I will now re apply for CA online.

Best regards

Ronaldo

Sign in or join us to comment.