Anxiety/Depression and crossing roads — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety/Depression and crossing roads

Options
keira
keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
edited February 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
Does anyone else have problems with crossing roads? I won't use pedestrian crossings as I can't stand being around crowds of people. So I just cross at other places but have had near misses as I can't concentrate very well and just run across quickly! I don't look cause I always keep my head down when walking. Can anyone else relate to this?

Comments

• Cocchedda27
    Cocchedda27 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I have same issue with the only difference that I have limited mobility as well with mental health problem and I use pedestrian crossing 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @keira How are you.?  I am sure that this is extremely distressing for you.

What would worry me is your safety.  My concern that you will cause an accident.

I can understand this because I have limited motobility and can not walk very fast.  Have also mental health issues.

I have to use pelican crossings because of my disability.  Please can I suggest wait till the people gone..

Other one if there is no crossing.  Do Green Cross Code, try to be patient I know not easy give your self a treat after wards.  Have also a tune or a saying in your head.  Keeps concentration

I say a few songs I am singing this to my self and the same time thinking how can I do this today.  Small steps.

I suffer anxiety mainly crowded areas.

Take care hope any of this works.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @keira

I am sorry to hear that this is a struggle for you, but road safety is so important and it is so vital that you come up with some coping strategies for this as otherwise you are putting yourself and others at risk.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • fish241985
    fish241985 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited January 2
    Options
    Hi my name is Lee [removed by moderator - personal information] I am partsily sighted and have miner Cerabral poalsey. I. Used to find 
  • fish241985
    fish241985 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited December 2023
    Options
    My name is Lee [removed by moderator - personal information] and I have miner cerabral poalsey and I am partially sighted. After a bad experience whilst up town in 2010 I started to feel extremely anxious about going out especially  trough the dark winter months. My anxiety got so bad that on some days I felt so down I couldn’t face leaving the house. I evenely went to my GP who proscribed Anti depresent they habe helped me a lot but I was still feeling unsteady when going up and down curbs and still felt on edge when crossing buses roads. It was then that I noticed just how many people use folding walking sticks , so I thought that would help me when going  up and down steps and curbs so I bought one off Amazon. My dad then put 2 peace’s of yellow tape on it so I would be seen.It works a treat . Now when I need to cross a road many drivers will stop to let me cross and  offer to help me cross the road. This  has greatly reduced my anxiety allowing me to do what I need to do without dreading crossing  the  road .
    if anyone has anxiety about tossing the road it is a great idea and may go a long way to solving this problem.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @fish241985

Just a quick note to say, I removed your last name as I was mindful of how much personal information you popped on the forum.

Welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear about your battle with depression and anxiety. It seems you have a good relationship with your GP. Do you feel supported? 

I'm so glad you found a way to help with crossing the road. It is a really good idea! I am actually going to tag @Richard_Scope who is our Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    Options
    Yeap, my son has stopped me from crossing when cars are coming several times now, it's a good job he comes everywhere with me.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.