Esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa

Options
jamie1965
jamie1965 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
hi can any one help I have had to claim esa due to sick pay running out at work I have put Calum in for myself and my partner they have sent me a letter today to tell me that I will get 73.10 per week I called them straight away as this is only one person money she said that I have to have an assement then I could get paid for both of us really don’t understand this is this right can anyone advise 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jamie1965

Hopefully our benefits advisor will be able to comment soon and offer some support.
  • jamie1965
    jamie1965 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @Jamie1965

No, there is no need for a medical to be passed to qualify for couple rate.

What may have happened, is that your contributions based claim has been processed (which is just for you) but the income-related part of your claim (which is what tops the claim up to couple rate where the income/capital in the household is low enough) has not been for some reason.

It might just be that the income-related part is still being processed, but it may be that there is some query over income/capital/etc, as there is much more to check for income-related.

I'd recommend getting back on to ESA - remember that the people who answer the phone are callcentre staff, so not all have knowledge of benefit entitlement, so if it seems that they don't know what they're talking about, ask for a callback from the benefit centre.

Let us know if they're still not making sense!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.