PIP walking ability not time nor distance really... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP walking ability not time nor distance really...

Ladybirdgirl
Ladybirdgirl Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am hoping there are any legal advisors here that can help me.
I have a neurological tonic muscle which means most of my day is spent regularly layed down on my left side to try to counteract the deformity the muscular contortion makes. Sitting or standing during these times is impossible as I cant hold up the torso due to muscle fatigue and pain. I spend the majority of the day and evening in this position. There is a little time mid morning I can be ok to walk. My gait is odd and it can become uncomfortable within varying amounts of time. However my point is that I cant walk most of the day because my back and hip are just too tight and fatigued. 
How does that fit in with the walking criteria distance or time please because it doesnt seem to fit my situation or does it? Or how does it? If thhere is an explaination Id really appreciate your help. 

Thanks for any help here. It was not taken on board at my assessment. (Sadly I ended up with complete idiot who spent two hours trying to bargain with me or create confusion about what I had clearly written what my medications were for) 
Im very unhappy with the lack of professionalism

Many thanks for any help

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ladybirdgirl
    There is a table of descriptors here about points and you can fill in a PIP self test here to see how you think you should score.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ladybirdgirl
    I thought that if at any time during the day you were able to walk 20 50 etc then you would match that descriptor. So if say at 11 oclock I go to the park and have a walk round sit and watch ducks or chill on the grass in good weather I then go home and need to rest how does that work out. So I walk and rest or sit or lay in the park for say a totla of half an hour and that is all I can do that day. The next day for example the spasm in my hip means I am trying to stretch it out doing some pgysio at home and cant go out. I may not return to the park for another week or so.... I just am not sure I ticked the right deacriptor in the end and I worry what this means for my descision..

I have booked in at the CAB because I understand the descriptors but then I read a lot of complex and conflicting infomation. 

Thanks both for trying to help me understand.
  • Ladybirdgirl
    Gillian29 this is a different topic you need to make your own new post for this. : (
  • Ladybirdgirl
    edited November 2022
    Thank you Mike [removed by moderator] QC. So to clarify if as some mentions that if I can do an activity but only a certain, and really only sometimes, time of day like an hour window then did I tick the right descriptor the 0 to 20 meters because most of the time I am at "0" layed down or doing physio or doing some small minamally physical home jobs between which I can lay down or get to my wall bars or physio to stretch or just rest and take medication for the spasticity. 

I mean does 0 to 20 right for that ... Because occasionally I might be able to do a 20 -50 or a 50 - 100 if I take enough medication. The problem is I cant take that medication often as it is very tolerence building. 

Sorry I should have discussed this more at my home assessment but my assessor wasn't easy to understand or talk to and kept interrupting me or trying to barter with me or he was trying to coax me to say I couldnt go out because of anxiety. I never mentioned this on my form I am not agrophobic and I go out. Just weird. 

I am waiting for the result now but I dont feel the assessment went well. 
  • Ladybirdgirl
    Sorry Mike I do understand you I think I am just trying to speak here as I would have liked to at my assessment.
  • Ladybirdgirl
    Yes I even had it written down in front of me. It is my own fault as my assertive skills escaped me totally that day.
    Thank you Mike and I am sorry for my assumption. I used to work in law years ago. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.