Questions about universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Questions about universal credit

gene_56
gene_56 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
hello everyone
Having recently been discharged from Basildon mental unit  . I was wondering if anyone can   
help me with a couple of questions:
1} I am claiming universal credit . I have just completed and returned a questionnaire about
my ability to work . I understand I will be asked to attend a face to face interview with an heath 
assessor .Does anyone know how long that will take ? any tips ? 
2} I attended a meeting last Friday at job centre plus although I am sign off sick until the 19th of
April I was asked  to commit my self to a number of things such as actively look for work ,attend
interviews if need be , travel ect ... .or my benefits may be affected .I was asked to go on line
on my account and press accept your commitments .now I am thinking did I do the right thing ?
they might pressure me into going back to work right now . I am not ready yet .has anyone been
in this situation and have any idea of what might happen to me next ? I would be interested
in hearing about your experiences as I am new to this .  
I also find out on line that I received a payment ,not correct anyway as I said please get in touch 
I would love to hear from you ,
king regards everyone 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gene_56
    Welcome to the community, I have just moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor where I hope you can get some info and support.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • gene_56
    gene_56 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Sam
    Thank you very much
    Very kind of you 

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    gene_56,

You've done the right thing by completing the UC50  - if that's the questionnaire you've already had. If it isn't, ask for that as soon as possible. You'll be referred to a work capability assessment (medical) once they've had a look at your answers on the form. There's no set length of time. It should happen within 13 weeks (3 months) of claiming UC & saying you're not well enough to work, but it can take longer. 

In answer to your second question, I think you need to talk to your work coach and renegotiate your claimant commitment. It sounds as if you may have agreed to things you're not going to be able to to. Point out to them that you are not fit for work, you're waiting for a medical and you are signed off sick by a GP.

Your work coach can suspend your work search etc for 14 days whilst you've got a sick note, and for a lot longer if it is 'reasonable'. I suspect that in the case it would be reasonable for them to be suspended until you have an outcome from the medical.

Please please get in touch with your work coach (via your journal) as soon as possible. Explain that you are vulnerable - they should have picked up on your recent discharge, and if they made it seem that you had to agree to these actively seeking work requirements, I think you probably have grounds for a complaint against them. But for now, I would approach it tactically. Just say that you have had some advice, and you need to change your claimant commitment so that it reflects your needs as someone who isn't currently able to look for work etc. Think about what you are prepared to do whilst you're waiting for the medical - but if you feel that even part-time work isn't an option, say so and explain why.

Finally, you mentioned that you've received a payment but it isn't correct. What is wrong with it? You might need to get advice locally to find out what's wrong with it, as ideally you need to talk to someone who can see your online account at the same time as you (eg, make an appointment with Citizens Advice?)

If you have further problems with UC, remember that they have guidance on people with 'complex needs' - that should include you. They should not be putting you in a position where you have to look for work if that isn't appropriate, and it sounds as if your sick notes are clear that you are not ready for work at the moment. So this isn't acceptable, and they need to give you more support.

I hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.