Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Daughter gets high rate DLA for mobility, would my vehicle be exempt from road tax?

SystemSystem Posts: 470 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Road tax exempt.

Replies

• yidette46yidette46 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi, my daughter has Down syndrome and gets high rate DLA and mobility, would my vehicle be exempt? It’s my own car not motability. My daughter is only 4 1/2 so not with me all the time in the car. Please help. TIA
  • duckett123duckett123 Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    yes you can claim road tax but you can only claim for one car if you where to have motability car you could only claim for that if this makes sence you don't have to tell them you have your daughter now and then, its to help with travel and taking her to appointments  good luck
    @duckett123
     thank you so much for your reply, how do I go about setting this up? Someone on here mentioned a code, I remember getting one but can’t seem to find it. Would I contact DLA for this?

• stephenjohnstephenjohn Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Yes you need a code ,this is on your award certificate,go to the post office and reregister the car as taxation class....disabled .....if you don’t have your certification I would think that the dwp would issue a copy xxx
    @stephenjohn   Thank you, I called dvla and dwp, they are now going to issue a certificate. The dvla weren’t too sure as my daughter is so young so advised calling dwp who confirmed even with a 5 year old I am still exempt.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply
  • stephenjohnstephenjohn Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    It’s a minefield trying to sort things out.....it could be oh so simple but it’s not in the dwp interest to be too helpful ,I think they hope we all give up before we get and answer ......love and hugs 
Sign in or join us to comment.