Struggling to make ends meet — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to make ends meet

Options
windmillsam
windmillsam Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have Fybromyalia this past 15 years or so,,,maybe before and didn't know what ailed me! I have never received any benefit for this as I became my husband care in 2003 after he was jag nosed with a stage four tumer of the larynx... Thankfully after treatment failed to shrink it he was operated on and his life was saved by removing the tumer along with his voice box,,,sadly this was to end a career he enjoyed as a merchant seaman,,and various mental and physical health conditions now remain. He was devasted to have to rely on benefits,,being a proud hardworking man,,who was always employed at various jobs since the age of 15. With the new benefit changes we are now struggling badly to make ends meet...with the sweep of the pen by a faceless decision maker and the assessment of a young lady interviewer who likely has no idea what it is like to live with the aftermath of Cancer and such drastic surgery at 49 years of age,,our monthly income has been slashed by more than half,,,while our mortgage has increased by over £100 all in the mouth of Christmas,,,

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @windmillsam

It’s great to meet you this evening!!!!!

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current problems.

Do you have a local “”CBS”
    to offer you some help????

We have got a helpline: 0808 800 3333 where you will be able to get help/support.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you in anyway??????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @windmillsam, and welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your circumstances, I really hope we can help. You mentioned that your payments had been slashed, could you let us know when this happened and whether you appealed the decision?

It might also be a good idea to check the online benefits calculator to check that you on your husband are claiming all that you're entitled to.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.