Helping my daughter lead a full and positive life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Helping my daughter lead a full and positive life

Sybs44
Sybs44 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2018 in Work and employment
I have a 19 year old daughter who is learning disabled and has unilateral deafness.  She has struggled throughout her life and now as an adult continues to struggle.  We survived her school years just about despite having no support and with her only being considered as SA+.  Now she's. reached adulthood the full scale of how her disabilities affect her in life are really coming to the fore.  I'm not one to ask for help so I'm hoping this community will give me pointers and ideas I haven't thought of before to help her lead a full and positive life.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sybs44, and welcome to the community! Great to have you here. 

Just so we can help to the best of our ability, would you like to tell us a bit more about your daughter and what kind of things you had in mind at the moment? We have plenty of friendly community members and advisors who will do their best to offer some thoughts! 
  • Sybs44
    Sybs44 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Trying to find her a part time job is my main aim at the moment.  She’s been at home with me for 2 years since leaving school.  Also getting her involved in more social activities to keep her outlook positive.  She had no friends throughout her schooling but we were told it was acceptable.  
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @Sybs44, thanks for sharing this with us. I've moved this post into our ask an employment advisor category, where somebody will hopefully be along soon with some tips and advice on finding suitable part-time work.

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's school experiences, it certainly doesn't sound acceptable. Have you had a look at Mencap's local groups to see if you think any are suitable or appealing? You can search their groups on their website to see if there's anything local to you.
  • Rian_Alumni
    Rian_Alumni Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Good afternoon @Sybs44

I have read how you are trying to help your daughter.
    what type of work would your daughter enjoy doing and how does your daughters disability effect her day to day.
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.