I have my pip assessment on Tuesday 27th feb,I am very worried — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have my pip assessment on Tuesday 27th feb,I am very worried

lornatwin
lornatwin Community member Posts: 9 Connected
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’m new to this community, I have my pip assessment on Tuesday 27th feb,I am very worried in regards to this, I have rheumatoid arthritis,osteoporosis,osteoarthritis,and just diagnosed with fibromyalgia,and on top of all this also have depression,I was awarded DLA for life back in 2009 I think that long ago
I’m worried as I have heard some pretty awful ways to try trip you up I.e there’s cameras on either end of the street where their offices are,even have ppl outside watching you,my god why are we being made to feel guilty for having these debilitating diseases any advice would be appreciated many thanks.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Hello @lornatwin and welcome to the community. We're very glad to have you.
    The first thing I would say is not to panic :smile: We only really hear about the assessments that have gone badly, and it is those which get all the publicity. This does not mean that all assessments are carried out by corrupt, dishonest people.
    Although I am sadly not one of them, we do have a lot of people here who know a lot about or are even experts in PIP, DLA and other benefits, and some of them will be along to offer you advice. Bear with us, if you can, and try not to worry too much.
    Whilst you're waiting for one of our better qualified folk to come back to you, have a look at the Frequently Asked Questions document in the category 'Talk about PIP/DLA. The direct link to the document is here, https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip/faqs?_ga=2.132560523.405444417.1517054923-1832321402.1513208436 and it will advise you on, for example what and who to take with you to the assessment.
    I hope this makes some sort of sense?
    There are very many here who have experienced the anxiety and stress you are feeling, and for much the same reasons, and you'll find that people will listen, sympathise and help.
    Don't hesitate to come back with any more questions you may have.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lornatwin

Welcome to the community, we understand how stressful going through assessments can be.  We have a video about preparing that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs

Also you can talk with lots of other members who have been through PIP assessments here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • lornatwin
    Thank you guys have information to help me Richard and Sam and thank you lillybell hope all goes well for you xxx
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @lornatwin, yes there are cameras but if the acessor has access to the footage I don't know but I suspect they are security cameras. How are you getting to the centre? Using own or public transport give the acessor a indication on your mobility abilities because you will walk from the car park or bus stop to the centre. Your not asked to things that cause stress or pain in the physical part of the acessment, think before you answer any questions as what you say the acessor will make a desision on your reply.
  • lornatwin
    Many thanks Wilco for your advice have taken it on board,I will be getting taxi to train station then taxi to their office my sisters going with me as she helps me a lot,will I be penalised for taking taxi then train etc?xxx
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Hi @lornatwin, have you had your assessment yet? Let us know how it went!

I had my assessment at home 12 days ago. Waiting on my decision.
    Shady.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ sdoc94, have you rang DWP and requested a copy of your acessment report, if not do so you can work out what your award will or may be. And if it's not to your liking or you don't get an award you will have time to think about where the acessor made mistakes and not giving you the award and if you need to start to look into making a MR. Best wishes.
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    @wilko as I live in Northern Ireland I actually cannot request a copy until the decision has been made! My case was passed to a decision maker 8 days ago!
    Shady.
  • lornatwin
    Well guys I had my assessment today, I had to wait 20mins in the waiting room reason given assessors had to reviews my case,however I have to say it was a long interview but assessor was very nice and understanding so be 4-6weeks before I hear anything,was absolutely exhausted mind you as I was in so much pain today but put that down to the very cold weather today doesn’t help us arthritis sufferers thank you guys for all your support very much appreciated will keep you posted xxxx

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lornatwin, and thank you for getting back to us. I will have everything crossed for you, and hope that the worst is over and you can relax a little.
    Take good care of yourself,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • lornatwin
    Ty Richard xxx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.