If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Independent living adviser/expert needed!

Hi,

My name is Riona McCumskay, I’m a third year TV and radio student at the university of Salford. For my final project at university I’m making a documentary about what opportunities are out there in regards to independent living, after children with disabilities leave school. Here is my idea synopsis:

Ella is a 16 year old girl with a severe disability (KAT6A Syndrome) . She is coming up to school leavers age and this documentary will explore what options are available for her, and other disabled children across Britain, after they leave the eduction system. This documentary will look into assisted living accommodation, living at home with their parents and also what measures Ella’s special needs school goes to, to prepare students for living in the real world with their disability. 

I’m hoping that someone could help me out and point me in the direction of an expert who knows about independent living for people with disabilities, preferably in the north west, who would be willing to speak to me for the documentary.

Any other information or help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• kami24kami24 Posts: 24Member Whisperer
    Firstly, as long as support is accessible to people they can go into further education or employment.However many people with mental illness or learning disabilities or both have a limited work area they can progress into my brothers friend who is 22 now has moderate to severe autism and because he has a goid family and has lived in supported living since 14 due to more opportunities and behavioural help from professional staff he was able to progress onto a shaw trust apprenticeship which many people do some disabled individuals even become tge manager ir assistant manager in the end but if course there are services which are accessible but some do not help people with minor problems or what others class as 'minor' anyway therefore i would say there is disadvantage and lack of any opportunity for anyone who doesn't 'fit in a box' for crucial support even though many people with more minor problems i would say requiremore intervention as they do not get social workers etc so simply end up on benefits because their mental state and behaviour is not accepted within the society we live in.
Sign in or join us to comment.