If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance and carers premiums question

RyansRyans ListenerPosts: 2Member Listener
edited March 2018 in Carer's allowance
Hi guys,I've been currently receiving DLA,tho I am now changed over to pip first payment due on the 23rd of march,all that aside my question is that I have been living on my own since November 2017,my mother always claimed carers allowance for me then obviously I got my knew home and am living on my own meanwhile my mother was in intensive care due do major heart surgery,so she was still classed as NY carer even tjoi was living on my own and didn't know much about how the system works but my mum finally got back on her feet and ask me to report the change that she had not been my carer for the last 3-4 months although she was receiving the CA for me she may have to pay that back,would I get it back dated to the date I said I have been living on my own..any help would be widely appreciated thanx

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Disability Gamechanger Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi  Ryans and welcome

You cannot claim carers allowance for yourself.
    Was anyone else caring for you while your mum was not able to and is she now back to caring for you ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • RyansRyans Listener Posts: 2Member Listener
    No my mum hasn't been caring for me since November, and I'm not looking to claim carers for myself I'm talking about the premiums I get when there is no one claiming carers allowance fore as I'm living on my own...so I wanted to know would I get it back dated to the day I moved in on my own?
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Disability Gamechanger Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Ah ok  are you refering to SDP ?
    Do you receive an IR element to your claim ?
    you may be best to get f2f advice from CAB due to your mum getting the carers

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Scope community team Posts: 7,647Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Ryans
    I moved your post over to the benefits advisor category where I hope they will be able to offer some support.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Disability Gamechanger Posts: 3,378Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    Although the cessation of care needs to be notified she is allowed a break from caring so that needs to be factored in. The bigger issue is whether you want it to be treated as a temporary or permanent break. Any means-tested benefit calculations could include SDP from the moment you live alone if no-one is getting CA for you. As already stated you need face to face advice as the gain in SDP for you as part of a means-tested benefit will mean a loss of CA and possibly other benefits for her. The basic info. can be given online but the pair of you need to be advised together about your specific circumstances. 
Sign in or join us to comment.