If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How can I ensure I'm put in the Support Group?

suzyc1954suzyc1954 Posts: 1Member Listener
Hi - I am completing an ESA50 and have completed this quite well but I am anxious to be put in the Support Group because of my condition which is severe COPD and have 32% lung capacity.  I am unable to do very much because the slightest exertion leaves me very breathless.  How do I persuade the assessors that I should be in the Support Group without sounding like "teaching your granny to suck eggs" or upsetting sensibilities. I know I can go through the descriptors and can satisfy quite a number for the SG but obviously I don't want to overstep the mark completing my application.  Thanks and regards.

Replies

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 2,877Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @suzyc1954, and welcome to the community!

As you say, it certainly sounds as though you should be in the support group. However, it's really difficult to predict what outcomes will be ahead of time. Have you sent off the assessment yet? 

Citizens Advice have some great in-depth guidance on filling in the ESA form which you may like to double check your own answers against, and our community members may be able to share some tips too. These support group descriptors may also be helpful. I really hope you get the outcome you're hoping for and if not, we'll do our best to rectify things. Do keep updated and we'll advise where we can! 
  • lillybellelillybelle Posts: 452Member Chatterbox
    Just be truthfull and tell them the reasons why you are unfit for work. Eg- need sleep during the day etc.
    give medical evidence but only COPIES never originals 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,211Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi suzyc1954, 

Apart from explaining your limitations as clearly as you possibly can on the ESA50 form, providing whatever medical evidence you can is also important in getting the best outcome possible. There's not a lot else you can do if you do those two things. Good luck.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Will Hadwen
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

• Governments_A_JokeGovernments_A_Joke Posts: 185Member Chatterbox
    To add to the already great advice?

As I suffererer I have COPD with other many issues I face I also make very stange noises when I move. I sent with my forms my diagnosis of my COPD as I'm also at stage 3 Explain in full how it affects you and if you have an assessment they will certainly hear your breathing issues. 
    This Governments gone way to far. Now let's help Debbie Abraham's and help get this sorted and the Conservatives to stop this crap against the disabled. See more of her story's on her tweet page here https://mobile.twitter.com/Debbie_abrahams and let's get behind her and Support her in the fight for the rights of disabled. Together we must fight and we can conquer.
Sign in or join us to comment.