If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Has anyone been successful regarding underpayment of ESA?

SystemSystem Posts: 195 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Esa under payed.

Replies

• kath2512kath2512 Posts: 4Member Listener
    hi, has anyone been known to have been successful in recieving underpayment of esa?
  • Lasian_ScopeLasian_Scope Posts: 637Member, Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @kath2512,

I haven't been able to find any previous posts from users about successfully receiving this payment. I've made this a separate post so that it's more visible and others can comment with their experiences. I hope this helps!
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 3,874Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    Hi kath

re you refering to when you changed over to ESA  when some people were not assessed for Income support ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    i was taken off incapacity benefit, assessed for esa refused. i appealed had a tribunial and won.  thanks for replies 
    Ok
    There are reports on other sites that backpayments to october 2014 are now being made to those identified but there is a long way to go still

CR
    ok thankyou . just a long waiting game
    There is also the on going arguement about earlier period when the change over began but i believe that is a matter for a future UTT decision

CR
  • whistleswhistles Posts: 1,600Member Brian Blessed
    When were we changed? Sorry my days blur into the next. 
    Has it been four years?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

From DRUK

ESA was introduced in 2008. In 2011 the Department began reassessing people claiming pre-existing incapacity benefits to see whether they were eligible for ESA. The previous benefits included incapacity benefit, severe disablement allowance and income Support.

In a written statement to the House of Commons, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions David Gauke has confirmed that in 2013 he was made aware of individual cases which were transferred in error to contributory ESA, rather than to income-related ESA,

In these cases, incapacity benefit claimants had an unidentified entitlement to additional benefits such as the enhanced disability premium. These premiums are only payable to those on income-related benefits.

From 2014 additional DWP guidance was put in place to ensure all claims transitioning from that point forward were more fully assessed for both contributory and income-related ESA.

At the time officials did not identify the need to explore the potential impact of the earlier error. This was reconsidered in the light of analysis following the preliminary Fraud and Error statistics published in May 2016.

As a result of a sampling exercise, the DWP estimates that around 75,000 claimants may have been underpaid - about 5% of those people who moved over from incapacity benefits.

• whistleswhistles Posts: 1,600Member Brian Blessed
    Thanks for that.
    I know I was in that underpaid until they checked category. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Bob677Bob677 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Rightsnet had a meeting last week with dwp in relation to underpayment as you can imagine the dwp have been working on this at a glacial pace there was a link to the meeting on rightsnet they said that from the beginning of April that a team of 400 dwp staff will solely work on backdated payments and dedicated phone number would be set up as of today but can’t find the number as yet will keep you updated I my self is due a considerable amount of backdated money 
    thankyou for your time and input. if eveyone owed gets backdate then it gonna make a lot of peeps life easier for a while. good luck and will look forward to an update

Sign in or join us to comment.