Buggys/pushchairs/strollers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Buggys/pushchairs/strollers

Zippy123
Zippy123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi..... I need some help and support my nephew has CP. He is a big boy for his age and now needs a pushchair big enough for him to sit in..
 Unfortunately he doesn't live in this country and every day is a struggle to find medical help and also any sort of day to day essential daily care equipment for him. 
Does anyone know of any charity or second hand shops where i can go and find something for him.  I desperately need to find a buggy or pushchair for him to sit in as he is too big and cant sit on his own yet.  
I would appreciate any form of advice or help.

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Someone must know where hospitals have theie child wheelchairs made. ?
    Companies like McKlaren (cant spell it) make child wheelchairs. They have a large building in Birmingham. They would be on the net.
    The Birmi gham mail would put a request for you in their paper.
    Most of the newspapers would print a request for you. And would proberly send it to your nephew if you dint mind them having some free publicity.
    Finhers crossed
  • Zippy123
    Zippy123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I don't mind..
    I just need any help available.. 
    In a third world country its hard to get Physio or anything to help children with CP
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Im puzzled why Scope havnt contacted you.
    They hsve contacts and they read this site. Cos its theirs
    At the bottom it says equipment. So the wheelchair your looking for they KNOW where youd get it so why havnt they spoke to you?
    Something amiss 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Zippy123

Where does your nephew live? Can they get no support in the country where they live?

If you are looking for second hand equipment, we have lots of information here about that that might be useful :)

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @Zippy123

The additional needs buggy/pushchair most commonly used in the UK is the Maclaren Major Elite, it can accommodate children up to 8 years/50kgs. They regularly come up for sale on ebay but tend to hold their value well and so you can expect to spend at least £100 on a pre-used one. Also, of course, there will be the additional expense of getting it to your nephew.

However, a word of caution, children with cp often require more supportive seating than can be provided by a buggy. Also such buggies are really designed for smooth pavements and as you mention that nephew lives in a "third world country" I'm guessing the terrain might be more challenging, so you might not find a buggy durable enough. An appropriately wheelchair, suited to his individual needs, may well be the best option.

I suspect that trying to liaise with a charitable organisation that already works in the country where your nephew lives might result in the best outcome for your nephew, as well as being most cost effective for you. Also you would be more confident that the equipment he receives is suited to his needs and local circumstances. 

Scope only works in England and Wales so we don't have expertise in overseas wheelchair provision, but perhaps you could take advice from an organisation that does, such as:     

https://wheelchairsforkids.org/distributors/countries/

Best Wishes

Jean

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.