Care package going from 42 hours a week to 0 hours, I think I need legal advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Care package going from 42 hours a week to 0 hours, I think I need legal advice

julievictoria
julievictoria Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello I am new here. I am looking for help with adult social care. I have been told my social worker is leaving on friday 9th March and that my care package is going from 42 hours a week to zero hours. I think I need legal advice but I do not know where offers it? I am so tired as my care was ended on 28th February. I am doing my best to carry on by using community transport to get to places and asking members of the public to push my wheelchair. I cannot attend medical appointments as transport has to be booked a week in advance and I cannot make telephone calls as I now have no support. I take it I am bearing the brunt of the cuts. 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @julievictoria, welcome to the community

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. I think that our helpline would be best able to advise and help you with this, here are their contact details:

Freephone: 0808 800 3333Email: [email protected]Textphone: Use Type Talk by dialling 18001 from a textphone followed by 0808 800 3333.
    Are you able to contact them through any of these ways? Please do let me know if you have any questions.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 21 Listener

Hi @julievictoria,

I work at the scope helpline and would like to try and help you find support.

The Care Act Statutory Guidance stresses that reviews must not be used as a mechanism to arbitrarily reduce the level of a person’s personal budget’.

13.4 The review will help to identify if the person’s needs have changed and can in such circumstances lead to a reassessment. It should also identify other circumstances which may have changed, and follow safeguarding principles in ensuring that the person is not at risk of abuse or neglect. The review must not be used as a mechanism to arbitrarily reduce the level of a person’s personal budget.

The Law is clear that local authorities need to provide detailed reasons if they significantly reduce-or in your case stop a care and support package.

For example complaint no 15 016 495 against Norfolk County Council 31st August 2016 where the ombudsman considered that that the council had failed to explain the basis for its decision to reduce a care package.

https://www.lgo.org.uk/decisions/adult-care-services/assessment-and-care-plan/15-016-495#point4

Please email me at the [email protected] with your postcode and I will look for local advocacy and advice centres. If you are happy to talk then I can call you to find out a bit more about your situation and to give you further information about how to challenge the councils decision to stop your care package.

Options for getting legal advice:

The disability Law centre www.dls.org.uk  provide free legal advice about community care issues tel. 0207 791 9800 

Civil Legal advice line www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice tel. 0345 345 4 345

Use find a legal adviser to find agencies near you. Select 'Charity or government-funded organisation'. You are looking for organizations that say 'Community care' in the blue box. See if you are likely to get legal aid.

Law centres offer legal advice, casework and representation http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/i-am-looking-for-advice

Also see our guide about how to challenge cuts and changes to social care packages that has detailed advice about how to appeal and where to get further support: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/social-care/cuts-changes

Best Wishes,

Zoe

Scope helpline

[email protected]

tel. 0808 800 3333 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.