Do you want to take part in a discussion on psychiatry? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you want to take part in a discussion on psychiatry?

zoemulliez
zoemulliez Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, my name is Zoe.

I work at the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the organisation responsible for education and training in psychiatry.

One of my objectives is to better understand your experience with psychiatrists.

If you are in contact with a psychiatrist, or have been in contact with one in the past, I would love to hear from you. I'm organising a discussion with around 8 people on Thursday 15th March, 9.30-11am in Central London.

Breakfast and coffee will be available on the day and travel expenses can be reimbursed.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks,

Zoe

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Zoe
    Not impossible that I could contribute something, one way or another, but whilst I had quite long term contact with psychiatrists it was a very long time ago now. I'm afraid I have avoided your profession rather like the plague since moving on.
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Can I ask - what is the aim of the discussion? My overriding experience of psychiatrists is that they want you to talk but that they don't listen when you do. Ward rounds in psychiatric hospitals are the worst; the only person in the room that seems irrelevant in the process is me, the patient.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    truth bloody useless never listen and one i had had more issues than i did self cure thru helping worse was my treatmant
  • zoemulliez

Dear all,

Many thanks for your responses and apologies for the delay in responding to you. I'm really sorry to hear some of you have had bad experiences with psychiatrists.

Unfortunately, the discussion will be face-to-face only to allow everyone to feel comfortable speaking about their experiences. Everything that people say will remain strictly confidential. 

The purpose of this discussion is to better understand people's thoughts and perceptions of intellectual disability psychiatry, in order to improve  care and the relationships between psychiatrists, patients and families.

• Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Dear Zoe, Thanks for explaining what the research is about. There are quite a few 'knock out' factors there - travelling is a huge one; speaking face to face "to allow everyone to feel comfortable speaking about their experiences" is another. I could go on and on and on... Perhaps including telephone or skype conversations could then include a broader demographic?

• zoemulliez
    Dear @Barbiesnemesis, thank you. What I meant is that I really want to create an atmosphere to allow people to speak freely about their experiences and to allow them to see the people they are talking to. However I may organise other events / skype conversations as you suggested in the future and I will let you know. Best wishes, Zoe

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.