ADOS assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ADOS assessment

Options
Goldiex11
Goldiex11 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
I have a 19 year old daughter who has a language disorder, global developmental delay, microcephaly and sensory needs. She is gorgeous and is awaiting an ADOS assessment as, when she was 4 she was considered to be "too sociable" to be autistic! Am really looking for ideas on how to find support for her as she goes into employment and wants to live more independently.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Goldiex11 and a warm welcome to the community. I hope you've not been kept waiting too long.
    19 years? You have been through the mill, haven't you. Microcephaly was one of my late daughter's conditions, together with CP and a host of other things.
    Others, I am sure, will be along in due course to offer suggestions. Have you reason to think that a diagnosis of autism is likely to take place?
    I'm going to 'name drop' @ParentingAdvisorVikki here, which will hopefully draw that lovely lady to your post.
    Please keep in touch.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • ParentingAdvisorVikki
    ParentingAdvisorVikki Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for the tag @JennysDad
    Welcome @Goldiex11
    your daughters case sounds a bit like my son who was told he was too bright to have ADHD and left for a long time with no diagnosis. 
    The criteria for ASD has changed, girls often (but not always) display different from the boys. They often make eye contact are sociable and mask their symptoms very well. Some wear makeup and conform to social stereotypes and a means to cover up their social anxiety. 

If your daughter aants to move out and out and live independently there are some resources available, such as supported housing where they have a support worker who checks in regularly. 
    Local charities run social skill and life skills courses to help her with things like managing her money or undertaking a job interview.
    my son has problems declaring to people that he has autism, and no intention to leave home. He has a job at a local corner shop and has worked his way up from a paper boy. 

If you let me know what area you are in I could see if I could find out what provisions are available to you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.