If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Does anyone enjoy reading?

whistleswhistles Posts: 1,603Member Brian Blessed
This is something I do over the winter.
Not getting on that well with current book but will persevere, half way now so want to know how it ends. 
Can't read Sci Fi, but like romance, general topics I suppose nothing complicated. 
I actually read teens books too- just as good.  :)

Over to you.
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Replies

• susan48susan48 Posts: 1,707Member Chatterbox
    Hi
    i used to love reading, my hobby but now I can’t concentrate.
    love thriller, police fiction.
    Mybe I should try again, been 3 years since I read, or mybe audio books
  • charlenecharlene Posts: 555Member Chatterbox
    Love a good 'who done it', Ruth Rendal is one of my favourites.  Also love historic novels, like The White Queen.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • whistleswhistles Posts: 1,603Member Brian Blessed
    I can watch Ruth Rendell but not read the book.
  • GeniedebsGeniedebs Posts: 59Member Talkative
    I love reading and have done since an early age. Tend to enjoy historical fact, crime and true crime. I do an awful lot of reading for research about my ancestors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Brian Blessed
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deb74deb74 Posts: 176Member Chatterbox
    hi read all the dan brown books but not read that one. i tend to read a lot of thriller and horror books, my favourite author is shaun hutson. his books can be a bit scary though!
  • BarbiesnemesisBarbiesnemesis Posts: 86Member Chatterbox
    I love to read - its difficult these days to concentrate/hold a book but I try...
    I love thrillers too and Fantasy books (not sure of the genre) books like Lord of the Rings or Louis de Berniere's, The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman; also William Horwood's series called Duncton Tales. I could go on and on - but I won't :p
  • JennysDadJennysDad Posts: 2,179Member Chatterbox
    I read almost entirely on Kindle these days, for portability and for being able to enlarge the text to a point where I'm not struggling. May be tempted to go to audio books next. Currently re-reading the 'complete works' of Charles Dickens and now enjoying "The Old Curiosity Shop" again.
    Tried a Kindle couldn't get in with it.
    I love the feel of a book. Plus if I drop it the worse that can happen is I lose the page.
    I think as well is not really that easy to hold.
    Saves me money anyway.  :)
    Victoriad said:
    Yes the library has got a great stock of books to choose from
    Yes and I think you can borrow cds and dvds? 
    Least you used to be able to.
    There  is a fab charity shop that sells books for 50p. Brilliant place. Just need to get the table and chairs plus coffee machine and that's my day out. 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 1,276Member Chatterbox
    I love reading. I like crime thrillers and enjoy using amazon kindle app on my tablet. I lose days reading when I can’t do anything else. I couldn’t read for a couple of years due to my health but I perservered and now I can again. I also love researching online. 

This too shall pass!
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 3,874Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    Any of the Janet and John series :)
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    I love Oor Wullie and the Broons (?) if I've got that right. 
    Hahahaha anyway I use an app on my tablet to limit the glare and there are loads of reading apps with free books. I also enjoy teen sci fi books occasionally. I will give anything a go if the plot grabs me from the start. Apart from black depressing horror or bloody gore. I’m a bit of a fan of fairies and angel stories for adults 

This too shall pass!
  • bobives789bobives789 Posts: 14Member Whisperer
    I have been an avid devourer of books since I was 5 years old, it has always been my greatest passion. I lost an eye in 2013 and have not read a book since, I just cant motivate myself to struggle with trying to focus with 1 eye. its just not the same.
    tried them, they send me to sleep
  • sheilyh789sheilyh789 Posts: 5Member Listener
    i love to read I have books on my kindle just can't concentrate at the minute
  • SimonPSimonP Posts: 9Member Whisperer
    The best thing I've  ever bought is my kindle. I'll read anything and everything apart from romantic fiction. I set myself a target of 52 books for last year and passed it in June!

This year I've still read but not quite so avidly. I was reading library books by the time I was 3 and have spent as much time reading as I can. I'll even read ingredient lists if there's nothing else
    Hi @bobives789
    Would it help at all to get the Kindle program onto your computer? You could then enlarge it to any extent that was useful to you.
    Best
    Richard
  • Gill53Gill53 Posts: 9Member Listener
    . I
    G L Grundy 
  • sandyp196sandyp196 Posts: 132Member Chatterbox
    I love reading but it costs me a fortune in library fines. I find it difficult to get books back on time and am always gettig fined. It's £5 per book. 
    I love crime novels. Iv read the entire patricia Cornwell collection,  Karin slaughter toO.  I got quite depressed when there was no more books to read, but then the library suggested karen rose. I checked and she had quite a generous catalogue so I would 'give her a go.. She is now my favourite and I'm working through the books in sequence.  I love how main characters in one book get token mentions in following books so I get an idea what happened to them.
    why not try charity shops, you may find some tiles that suit.
  • SugarCoatedSugarCoated Posts: 41Member Talkative
    I used to love reading would complete several books a week. Now I lose interest after a few pages and give up. Ahhh the good old days 
    Hi @SugarCoated. Nice to meet you. Is there a particular reason that you give up?

• SugarCoatedSugarCoated Posts: 41Member Talkative
    i lose interest really quick. even tried reading some of my favourite books  but i kinda zone out, not sure how to explain. 
    :smile: No obligation to explain, @SugarCoated - was only wondering if there might be some way we could help. Don't forget we're here if you think of anything.
    Warmest best wishes to you
    Richard
  • Rossi46fanRossi46fan Posts: 10Member Whisperer
    Would be very much an avid reader, narrow field though.

Action such as Mitch Rapp, Jack Reacher, Gunny Swanson.

New Scottish writer in that genre is great; Jack McSporran and his "Maggie Black" series.

I'm biased though :D I won a coffee mug from him.

Also like police procedurals: Ian Rankin, Anne Cleeves etc.
    anyone here interested in computers? or internet
    The interiors and technology remain a mystery to me, but I love computers and the internet. 
  • Rossi46fanRossi46fan Posts: 10Member Whisperer
    Same, spend too long on em maybe though.

Great learning assistant.
    I've been trying to push computer based learning for at least a decade. Trying to get it made policy. Still a battle, but still fighting.

My aim for this year is to try reading agin, been 3 years since I last read and it was my Bobbie but  on concentrate.

maybe start which the disability handbook Iv just ordered.

Not very exciting but I’m scared to try incase I can’t then feel Iv failed.

sandyp196 said:
    I love reading but it costs me a fortune in library fines. I find it difficult to get books back on time and am always gettig fined. It's £5 per book. 
    I love crime novels. Iv read the entire patricia Cornwell collection,  Karin slaughter toO.  I got quite depressed when there was no more books to read, but then the library suggested karen rose. I checked and she had quite a generous catalogue so I would 'give her a go.. She is now my favourite and I'm working through the books in sequence.  I love how main characters in one book get token mentions in following books so I get an idea what happened to them.
    I love those types of drive novels too. James Patterson is good too. Try your charity shop or doctor surgery or eBay.

• ShadowdragonShadowdragon Posts: 12Member Whisperer
    HI

I read quite a bit, I have a Kindle unlimited subscription, Maybe this would be good for you @sandyp196 its £8 a month, cheaper than £5 fines. I love Sci-fi and Fantasy novels. Although I do try to avoid the ones where there are 12 books in a series as I kinda get bored of the characters after book 3 hehe..

A good one turned into a series was "The Expanse" on Netflix about to go into Series 3, it followed the books quite accurately unlike some.

Another is Altered Carbon great books, but series didn't do it justice.
    @bobives789 I have a degree in computer science and a bit of a geek hehe
    @bobives789 I know my way around a computer and I love researching on the Internet. Should have been a private investigater in another life as I am very curious and determined. 

This too shall pass!
  • BigBaffieBigBaffie Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hi, I love reading and will give any genre a try. I don't have a television, I subscribe to kindle unlimited and I read 4+ books a week. My favourite genres are crime, thrillers, Sci-Fi, fantasy and factual.
    I love reading, my disability does not allow me to do anything more than a certain amount of walking each day and I have that mentality in which I am always curious. 

Always have several books on the go, both fiction and non fiction. At the moment, two true crime books set in the 19th century and a book on domestic servants which is for research, as several of my ancestors were in that occupation.
    I imagine the same kinds of hobbies come up for people with disabilities as it narrows the field of options, and which hobbies have accessibility. I wouldnt not be able to hold a large book to read for any length of time but my phone i can plus use a holder and its hands free.

I think Computer access and reading are bound together now with Kindle/e readers and apps on tables/phones. My carers wife works in a charity shop and they cant sell the books they are donated anymore, they cant give them away sometimes. Unfortunately its becoming a dead media, £6 for a book or get unlimited kindle for £9 a month, especially if you read 4 books a week.

the same goes for DVDs, people are just not buying them Second hand or new as you can stream/store online now a lot cheaper. £10 for a DVD or wait a month and watch on Netflix etc for £10 a month.

Wow I wrote an essay sorry :)
    Shadowdragon. You do make some good points though in an essay. :) 

However, I  love scouring charity shops for anything they might have. I recently purchased one, in a local charity shop, Frith's British Compendium which has been very useful to my research and which I might not have got elsewhere at the grand price of £1.50.
    @Geniedebs that's great. The trouble with the area I live in the charity shops only have top quality items and charge nearly the same as high street prices, they are more like boutiques than charity shops. No rummaging in them where we are. Plus due to rates in the area out local village is pretty much charity shops and estate agents.

To keep on topic our library only opens part time due to lack of demand, We did have a book shop but it closed as there was no demand :( It is very sad to see.
    It is very sad to hear that your library only opens part time. Is your village populated  more by newcomers, of a younger age, who are more likely to use the internet, kindles or other electronic technology on the whole?
    @Geniedebs yup no demand for their services anymore, even the older end of people i know use technology now, even my 79 year old mother in law has a tablet, which i maintain :neutral: she has her bible on there and plays scrabble etc.
    Oh that is in contrast to my mother, aged 88, who has no wish to be connected to broadband. She manages to pay bills, order new clothes and do everyday things without using a computer. But, I wonder how long this will last.
    @victoriad A schoolkid a few years ago for a project came up with an idea that really took off, we have unused phone boxes that are turned into trust libraries, where people put books and take books, as they are worth nothing people are happy to leave them in an unsecured place. I think the schoolkid won an award. Great idea too.

I think leaving  books in pubs is a good idea. But turn the music down or off, I like quiet for those who like reading with refreshment.
    Tesco where I live has book donation shelf. You pay donations 

This too shall pass!
  • fishingmumfishingmum Posts: 488Member Chatterbox
    I love reading but have little time to do so. I normally get books from the charity shop and if I like them I will get the full series online from ebay or similar as second hand. I prefer factual books, but in the last 15 years got in to fiction with certain authors, mostly Terry Pratchett, David Gemmell, David Eddings, Raymond E Feist, now look for things along those lines. I find it an escape and lets my brain do what it needs to do in order for me to get with the rest of the day.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 5,401Administrator Scope community team
    I am currently reading This is going to hurt by Adam Kay, it's the secret diaries of a junior doctor and a really interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes sobering look at the NHS from the inside.

If you like non-fiction medical books, you may enjoy this one!
  • ayjayayjay Posts: 16Member Whisperer
     but in the last 15 years got in to fiction with certain authors, mostly Terry Pratchett, David Gemmell, David Eddings, Raymond E Feist, now look for things along those lines.
    Check out Terry Brooks, from your list there I think you'll like his books.

And maybe Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time  although he gets a bit long winded, certainly in comparison to David Gemmell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Brooks_bibliography

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Victoriad said:
    Hahah ;)
    Are you a fan of the Ladybird Books too  ;)

Yes I am now.  :o
    why not try charity shops, you may find some tiles that suit.
    Ditto. Love to browse. If I don't like the book I just re donate.
    Victoriad said:
    whistles said:
    Victoriad said:
    Hahah ;)

Current fave is “How to work out the husband”......even after 30 odd years that man still refuses to do as he’s told ;) ;) ;)......and that’s the reason I bought into that particular model....was led to believe he was in full working order!

I am sure there are also haynes manuals for working on your man lmho.
    Victoriad said:
    whistles said:
    Victoriad said:
    Hahah ;)

Current fave is “How to work out the husband”......even after 30 odd years that man still refuses to do as he’s told ;) ;) ;)......and that’s the reason I bought into that particular model....was led to believe he was in full working order!

You could be right. I know I was surprised to find the other books in the adult sexton- until I looked at one. 
    Victoriad said:
    whistles said:
    Victoriad said:
    Hahah ;)

Wasnt the book men are from Mars women are from Venus are self help guide? 
    Though as we know some women are from Mars, I do believe I confessed this not long after I joined.

Back to books oddly I am struggling to read. I don't know if the lighter evenings distracting me- is not as if I am outside our going anywhere.
    @whistles it could be you do not feel as much in hibernate mode due to it being lighter outside so your body may not be feeling like sit down in read instead oooo lets get outside and do something.

I do wonder sometimes about being from completely different planets lol
    I need to find something else to do. I don't go out in the evenings.
    That's nights nights time isn't it. With the horlicks  :)
    what sort of thing interest you? I knit, make soaps and candles, make candle holders make gardening things, I read more often than not in winter as well as I can not get out as much, but it really depends on what you can access and interests you
  • doodledoodle Posts: 10Member Whisperer
    JennysDad said:
    I read almost entirely on Kindle these days, for portability and for being able to enlarge the text to a point where I'm not struggling. May be tempted to go to audio books next. Currently re-reading the 'complete works' of Charles Dickens and now enjoying "The Old Curiosity Shop" again.

• doodledoodle Posts: 10Member Whisperer
    I use a kindle for the same reason. Audible books are fab and I am using this more and more. Some free stories and radio plays on YouTube 😊
    The radio plays on the phone without using your days doesn't it? 
    Does Kindle connection use your gb?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Whisperer
    I miss reading, as being my wife's full time carer and her health is getting worse. I don't have the time anymore. Only a few forums or the odd online paper.  

I managed to read a cracking book by Roger Cook on his days on the Cook Report.
    Love reading 📚

This too shall pass!
    Victoriad said:
    Rogerr Cook was a great investigative journalist......was it true that members of the underworld had a contract out on him?

Yes several, he now lives in an undisclosed fortress.
  • cornishmaidcornishmaid Posts: 15Member Whisperer
    I just LOVE reading.  I would be lost without my kindle, brilliant way to read in bed at night as you dont need your glasses and the backlight is just brilliant.  Its a great way to try authors that I probably would never have looked at when I used to buy/read books.  I have found some brilliant authors and a lot of the time its been from reading a 'free' book
    I love hunting round charity shops but sadly they don't sell any old books these days.
    andyjd said:
    I love hunting round charity shops but sadly they don't sell any old books these days.
    Some will have a vintage section.
    Oxfam Springs to mind. 
    EBay will. Found a nice 1940's book that way. 
  • EstherBEstherB Posts: 16Member Whisperer
    I love to read , I am a Christian so I've to red team bible, books i preferences true stories I can get lost in a book if it grabs my attention 
  • EstherBEstherB Posts: 16Member Whisperer
    I love to read my Bible, books I enjoy are true stories if they grab me I can get stuck into it. Love to read 
    Struggling to read just now. Hopefully someone bumps this around October.  :)
  • Grace56Grace56 Posts: 6Member Whisperer
    I love books and I have hundreds both fiction and non fiction. I used to be a prolific reader but these days, my concentration isn’t what it was. 
    I read non fiction like history, self-help and historical biographies when I can’t sleep. 
    I do like older women’s  chick lit’ by Annie Sanders or Erica James. And I’ve just finished a biography about Eustace Chapuys and that took me months to finish. 
  • sam66sam66 Posts: 6Member Listener
    Hi. I invested in a kindle when I became less mobile & it got hard to hold a book for a long period of time. I pay £7.99 a month for a choice of thousands of books. You can pay extra & get audio on alot books. It has been my savour. If you get a kindle with built in WiFi, you can use it as a normal tablet. I have not used my laptop since.

• Karen4evKaren4ev Posts: 6Member Listener
    Hi I love reading crime/thrillers etc I bought a kindle because I couldn’t hold a book open etc. I bought a little bean bag cushion to hold the kindle so I’m now what you might say hands free lol. I read that many books that for years I paid £7.99 a month to amazon for their kindle unlimited but someone told me recently how to read kindle amazon books for free so I’ve now cancelled my £7.99 payment. I love getting lost in a good book because it helps take my mind off a bit of the pain I constantly feel and it lifts my mood too. 
  • Karen4evKaren4ev Posts: 6Member Listener
    Hi I love reading crime/thrillers etc I bought a kindle because I couldn’t hold a book open etc. I bought a little bean bag cushion to hold the kindle so I’m now what you might say hands free lol. I read that many books that for years I paid £7.99 a month to amazon for their kindle unlimited but someone told me recently how to read kindle amazon books for free so I’ve now cancelled my £7.99 payment. I love getting lost in a good book because it helps take my mind off a bit of the pain I constantly feel and it lifts my mood too. 
  • Apri54Apri54 Posts: 8Member Listener
    edited July 5
    Read all the time! I read everything we had (big bookshelf) then  my teens A level Literature reading list , then books I had never had time to read off eBay On the road Jack Kerouac etc..
    My other teen bought me a kindle, I love it and use it for previews, non fiction, this and it is essential when I cancan't get about .
    Now I am using the charity shop I donate 5, buy 5, read and repeat! It is another medication free way of controlling the pain.
    I am reading  The redemption of Althalus, by David and Leigh Eddings, just now. I do enjoy reading especially when the weather has been lovely and I can sit out in the garden and enjoy it. I am starting to build up for winter and getting more from the charity shop. I often hand them in to the school once I have finished with them so they can sell on to raise funds.
  • yassinyassin Posts: 7Member Listener
    whistles said:
    This is something I do over the winter.
    Not getting on that well with current book but will persevere, half way now so want to know how it ends. 
    Can't read Sci Fi, but like romance, general topics I suppose nothing complicated. 
    I actually read teens books too- just as good.  :)

Over to you.
    Hi I love reading
Sign in or join us to comment.