Can I claim Carers Allowance whilst signed off work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim Carers Allowance whilst signed off work?

Options
julienanny
julienanny Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I claim (esa)for myself and my hubby(work related activity group) and I am currently in receipt of Carers allowance for My hubby who receives (pip) mid rate daily living rate and higher rate mobility, my query is If I was to become ill could I still claim carers allowance for him if I was signed off by the doctor(not in the work related group anymore) I’d still be caring for him. I ask this because I am having a small operation soon which will make me not eligible for work.thanks

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @julienanny and a warm welcome to the community. It is good to have you with us.
    I'm not any kind of authority on benefits, so I can't answer your question directly, but we have a number of people here who DO know their stuff :smile: and they will be in touch with you shortly.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi julienanny and welcome

To receive carers allowance you must be able to give 35 hours per week care to qualify

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.