If I stop working due to ill health, what benefits can I claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I stop working due to ill health, what benefits can I claim?

Options
jackiet4790
jackiet4790 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi 
I am currently workilng but for how long? If I have to finish work due to I’ll health which benefits will I be able to claim. I already get PIP.
kind regards Jackie 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @jackiet4790, good morning and welcome, I am not a benefits adviser but it is better I think if your employer terminates your employment due to health reasons than you to hand in your notice it's a difficult choice, but at least you are being proactive in looking ahead what might be available to you if. Also you could try one of the sites to see what benefits you are entitled to and putting in details as if you have finished work. Having PIP opens doors to other benefits if unemployed, good luck Jackie.
  • jackiet4790
    jackiet4790 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your response 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello Jackiet4790

What benefits you can calm will depend on your circumstances.  For example if you have paid sufficient national insurance contributions you can claim contributory based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). The last 2 tax years will be considered when assessing if you are entitled to this benefit. It can be difficult to know whether sufficient national ins. conts, have been paid, and so if you have worked during this time it is always worth putting in a claim to see if you are entitled.  Contributory based ESA is also non-means tested which means that it does not matter if you have savings or (sometimes) other income.  If you are awarded this benefit sometimes it can last just 12 months, so please post again for further information if awarded.  The below is a link to an explanation of ESA on the scope website.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/esa

You may also be entitled to means tested benefits such as income related ESA/housing benefit (if you rent property)/council tax reduction or Universal Credit.  Which benefit you claim depends on the area you live.  I have put a link below so you can see if you are in a Universal Credit area or not:

https://universalcreditinfo.net/

The following links are a more in depth explanation of Universal Credit and Housing Benefit. 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/universal-credit 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/housing

As income related ESA, Housing Benefit and Universal Credit are means tested, any capital you have or income could effect benefit entitlement.  If you have a partner or spouse who you live with then their income and the hours they work can also effect entitlement to benefit. 

There is also industrial injuries benefit if you are ill due to an accident at work or have a prescribed illness. 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.