Moving House And Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving House And Universal Credit

keira
keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
edited March 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello

My friend receives ESA, HB & PIP. He has been offered a new adapted house from a housing association. This would mean him moving from his current council flat to a different local authority area . The new area is not full service UC for another few months. What will happen to his current benefits? Will this new house be classed as a starter tenancy? He is so confused and frightened that if he moves then he will have to move onto UC and lose some of his benefits . Can anyone help please?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    As of 1st jan 2018 you cannot claim UC in a live service area so benefits should remain the same.
    As always you should seek f2f advice from CAB or similar

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Keira

Given that your friend is moving into an area that is not full service then his current benefits of ESA and HB should continue. PIP is not affected by the introduction of Universal Credit. 

Your second question about starter tenancies, is this in relation to housing rights? If so your friend may need advice from e.g. Shelter, they have an advice line for the public, see below:

0808 800 4444 and it is open 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am -5pm at weekends. 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• billcov1
    billcov1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    i recently moved from our family home because my wife could no longer acess toilet bedroom or bathroom could  i suffered a stroke so my mobility is not good the thing is i have spent nearly £10k since living here my benefits have been suspended and now I'm living in shared ownership with rent and service charges and the area is live universal credit area anyone know what i can do

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.