If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How many of us have memory problems

whistleswhistles Posts: 1,560Member Brian Blessed
How do you prove this on the benefit forms?

Mine got dismissed despite it being part of my condition. This was explained in section 2 and section 5 and throughout what happens without help and why I need prompting.

It's invisible. The assessor did a cognitive test and I only remembered one two words in the wrong place.  I struggled to count backwards in sevens. But I have no impairments. If that's normal for everyone life really is ****  :) 
But from a pip point of view is it because it's just not bad enough to be a given a point in the first place? My memory is changeable. Good and bad days. 
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Replies

• NystagmiteNystagmite Posts: 610Member Chatterbox
    I do. They didn't do a memory test and decided I didn't have memory issues. Memory issues / cognitive difficulties are a common side effect of the medication I'm on.

Like you, it's changeable. I had it last week where I couldn't remember which button to press on my coffee machine. A machine I use almost every single day. And then there's the days where I can't remember what I did with my keys. The keys I put in my pocket 2 minutes ago. And then there's walking out the door, getting half way down the road only to realise I forgot to take my medication.

But I don't know how I can prove any of that. I live alone; so it's not like I have my parents checking if I've taken my mediation or I've got my keys. They only know about the latter when I've turned up at theirs to ask for the spare key.
  • whistleswhistles Posts: 1,560Member Brian Blessed
    I thought I solved the keys issue. I have a device for the spare outside that needs a code number. 
    If you can remember the number you can get in. 

If they ignore what's written and explained and decide in that hour you are fine, then I don't see how anyone can prove otherwise. 
    Locking yourself out is just consisted a hassle, not a risk. 

• lillybellelillybelle Posts: 443Member Chatterbox
    My short term memory is terrible. But then again having upto 20 absent seizures a day plus petit mal as well. Medication that causes memory loss and fatigue . You would think the proof is enough.
    but oh no. Because I could remember what type of school I went to, spoke normally in a normal tone plus spoke to my family daily (who obviously are used to me forgetting what I was or am talking about )
    There is nothing wrong I could talk without being prompted and remember things without being prompted
    what more eviedence can I give?
    thats if I can remember the answer!
  • deb74deb74 Posts: 175Member Chatterbox
    i have hydrochephalus and my short term memory is really bad but it was completely ignored by the pip assessor. i also have problems with my speech but because i do remember somethings and my speech is ok some of the time it was not taken into consideration.
    Are you appealing?
  • charlenecharlene Posts: 550Member Chatterbox
    I lost a set of car keys, in my home, within the first week of having my car.  That was over 3 years ago, and I have never found them since.  Like you Whistles, I had problems counting back in 7's, only got down to 80 and lost it all. Failed to spell the word world backward end, the assessor in her notes said I had spelt it backwards. Couldn't recall the 3 words she repeated to me and still can't, hey ho, it's great to know my memory is fine!
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    I locked myself out of my house and couldn't get in!  A neighbor across the road came to help me and in the end I got in, bit the damage to the door was so severe, I had to buy a new door.  Did leave a key in the front garden, just in case I got locked out again, but guess what I don't know where I put it!,,
    deb74 said:
    i have hydrochephalus and my short term memory is really bad but it was completely ignored by the pip assessor. i also have problems with my speech but because i do remember somethings and my speech is ok some of the time it was not taken into consideration.
    They claimed I don't have problems with my speech either. I've lost count the amount of times I've been told "we can't find you on the system" when giving my date of birth because someone's heard April as October. Or as was last night, I was asked something and all my mum heard was "thanks" and had to ask if I'd said yes or no. I'm forever having to repeat myself too.

I don't, unlike some people, have a strong accent.

Part of the argument with me having no memory issues was because I know how my life long disabilities affect me.
    It is actually a comfort to know the are others out there with memory issues. It's not just me or you. 
    I do keep a notebook because I find I have got into the habit of using it, though just because it's got the shopping list, doesn't mean its going to be remembered.

My £1 what change have you got question relies on you remembering what you wanted to buy. If someone distracts me that's it. Though to be fair that could be another product such as chocolate! 
    I don't do online shopping because I worry if i don't use my brain it will just wither away. My memory will be worse  not used. Plus I do feel going out daily is important for the fresh air.
    I  just try my best to limit mistakes due to bad memory.  I no longer do any motorway driving, after getting lost coming home from a friends.

i had driven up to Manchester just fine, mind u, one motorway runs into another.  On my home I  got lost and landed up in Ellesmere Port Liverpool.  Thankfully, 2 young workmen took pity on me, and they were heading for the same mottorway I needed to get home and said for me to follow them.  This I did and thankfully, although many hours late I arrived home.  So  forevear after No Motorway driving for me!
  • janejrjanejr Posts: 96Member Chatterbox
    I was given the keys to my new home a week before I was due to move in . Yes I lost them before even before i got back to my old flat and spent a week looking for them. I had to have all the locks changed. Moving nearly gave me a break down because I couldn't remember things. I ended up slipping a disk and had a bad case of shingles at the same time. My bad memory makes me anxious and being anxious makes memory worse. Can't remember appointments and turned up for a hospital appointment a month early. Madness
  • VictoriadVictoriad Posts: 2,535Member Brian Blessed
    Hello @whistles
    Yes...I have memory problems too......

have left the gas cooker on
    have left my jacket,hat and gloves on the train
    have locked myself out of the house
    have locked myself out of the car when I did have a licence
    have forgotten to take my meds
    have forgotten my passwords
    have forgotten my handbag in various shops 
    have used conditioner first to wash my hair and shampoo afterwards
    have put the washing machine on again, to wash a load of clothes.....that had just been washed.

All worse after a course of 20 treatments of ECT, memory loss, a well documented effect......but it’s all down to ageing I’m told.

Not arguing about it and doing things to help me solve these occurrences from repeating themselves.

I don’t feel anxious about it as Im just accepting it as a part of ageing and learning to find ways to help myself instead.

I think when I get older it will be blamed on my age. 
    I did get told I have insight into my condition so can keep myself safe.

You only need to gas the house once before you get banned from cooking again!!!

But I am interested in whether certain foods could help. I take vit D and C daily at the moment. But I would rather find something to eat. 
    Any fruits boost memory? 
    Not sure about fruits @whistles
    But there is a New Zealand green lipped mussel supplement which I tried but the smell is soooooo gross it’s like bloomin fishy cat food.

MENTAL EXERCISE Research has shown that mental stimulation keeps the brain healthy and increases the strength of memory. People with excellent memories tend to have various interests and tackle challenging mental tasks. As we age, it is normal to have changes in memory, but keeping the mind active does diminish weaknesses. Clinical psychologist Ron Bracey suggests using techniques such as puzzles, crosswords and widening cultural and social interests, all of which creates different pathways in the brain. PHYSICAL EXERCISE Half-an-hour of activity three times a week is enough to bring about significant increase in brain power, says a study at the Duke University Medical Centre in North Carolina. Exercise improves the heart's ability to pump blood more effectively. Memory benefits from improved blood flow to specific regions at the front of the brain whose functions include planning, organisation and the ability to juggle different intellectual tasks. Exercise may also speed glucose metabolism, which improves recall as well as reducing stress, which can interfere with memory. Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-107014/10-ways-boost-memory.html#ixzz59eoOarmk Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    I don't mind it if I forget I'v bought tomato ketchup and land up with 4 or 5 in the cupboard. Or when emptying some cupboards have found a microwave still in its box, and other goodies.  

I get upset when I turn up for appointments a month and week early. Or the best one I had paid was paying  for my groceries in Sainburys, decided to speak to the Pharmasist about an illness, only then tried to go back through the pay desk putting my bags of groceries back on the belt, and tried to pay again.  Of course an Atos Assessor would say, I haven't a memory problem!
    Thanks. 
    Does it mean jigsaw puzzles. I might be a bit thick for crosswords. Maybe I could start with the simple ones. 

We can laugh about it as much as we want to, and I honestly do.
    usually because I feel stupid and embarrassed when I’m trying to have a conversation and forget what the hell the conversation was about plus what I’m saying.

Yes @whistles
    jigsaw puzzles help too ........reason being that during my several lengthy sections in a mental health ward which also had severely affected dementia sufferers........

We were encouraged to do jigsaw puzzles if we wanted time alone or helping others.

Also encouraged to play dominoes and scrabble games.

And take 30 minute walk per day come rain or shine

I do have some corkers and yes we would go mad if we couldn't laugh about it. 
    But none of the above fits in these descriptors and that's all they are bothered about.

It's a pain to forget the programme you were watching because the adverts came on. Solution. Avoid the channels with excessive adverts. I said I watch films in the assessment to avoid that. But that didn't fit those descriptors. 
    We agreed it wasn't safe for me cook though, but the rest is fine because it's perry much zero risk. 
    Forgetting an appointment doesn't happen, I get taken. 
    whistles said:

It's a pain to forget the programme you were watching because the adverts came on. Solution. Avoid the channels with excessive adverts. I said I watch films in the assessment to avoid that. But that didn't fit those descriptors. 
    I forget what I'm watching too. Or forget what's happened. But because it's on as background noise, (I have tinnitus too) I have no difficulties concentrating, apparently.

As for appointments - my GP surgery and hospital always text me the day before.
     One day I was out and a friend came dashing over to me, saying Carole, Carole you car is rolling down the road!!  Thank goodness the piece of road I was parked on was relatively flat. My car had rolled backwardds about 20 odd  feet and came to a stand still. Thankfully, no cars were around so no damage  was done except  to my confidence!!! I had got out the car, and not applied the brake.  
    I wouldn't be safe driving on the roads.
    I'm guessing with your memory being this bad @charlene you have given up driving.
    Hello @whistles
    I unfortunately have lost driving due to my severe psychiatric illness along with being taken off the GTC register and the other register for my other profession.......Not sharpening my axe JUST YET!

But hey...... I’ve got a bus pass for me and a companion ,a Disabled Railcard plus a cinema card allowing a free companion and all topped off with standard rate PIP.......and I’m trying to enjoy an independent life......and guess what, managing well at the moment!

Wonderful to hear that Vicoriaid, so many poor souls, wouldn't  survive all that. My daughter was sectioned twice and spent 7 months in a closed door mental hospital.  I love her dearly, but often weep for what life has dished up for her. She to is very brave like you.
    Thanks @charlene
    To be honest I initially found it painfully hard and refused to accept that I was so ill.

I became angry,resentful and very bitter but I’ve since managed to adapt after deciding that my severe depression was an intruder who decided to ‘squat’ in on my lifestyle.

I know this intruder comes and goes from time to time and that I must avoid overthinking as it takes me round and round in circles in a downward spiral.......so I try and keep good mental hygiene.

When it intrudes, I acknowledge its there squatting, but by not giving it more house room than is necessary I stop it from totally taking over my life.

Because I have only just got my award, I have unwanted debris in my head that focused on the can't do. 
    You do feel as if you shouldn't have any sort of life beyond the garden gate. 

I can't remember when I last went on the train. That sounds fun. Do they still have people you can buy the ticket from or is all modern and you just get on the train? 

Hello @whistles
    When you feel up to it, get yourself a Disabled Railcard which allows you and a companion 30% off.

When the weather is warmer and drier take the step and invite a pal with you on a short journey to a nice place for an outing ..........it WILL take your mind off matters, honestly and you have something of interest to share instead with your pals rather than ruminating your thoughts.

Please try it, grab the courage to make this small step......it WILL benefit your peace of mind.

• wildlifewildlife Posts: 1,124Member Chatterbox
    @I do and I failed the tests but my assessor solved that quite easily by lying about the results. MOH has to remind me about everything unless I write it down. It happens as soon as I leave a room and start doing something else I completely forget what I was doing before. Last week I put my electric blanket on in the afternoon intending to have a lie down. Then got distracted. When I got into bed it was red hot so I accused MOH of trying to burn me. When he said he didn't put it on I said well I didn't meaning in the last half hour. Then as the discussion went on realization dawned. It had been on full for 6 hours. Now my assessor remarked I had no medical evidence for this but having asked my GP to send me for tests she said the distress it would cause me to know I had a problem and that currently there is no cure would out way any good in having tests. I can understand that but it doesn't fit with the PIP process. I even have a good reason for this in the before and after a head injury in a bad car crash I had. So I have no cognitive impairment according to my assessor.     
    Mild cognitive impairment (MCI) is an intermediate stage between the expected cognitive decline of normal aging and the more-serious decline of dementia. It can involve problems with memory, language, thinking and judgment that are greater than normal age-related changes.17 Aug 2017

Source Mayo Clinic

Im afraid this is tricky and I would personally tend to agree with your asessor that a diagnosis of Dementia would outweigh any benefits gleaned from knowing you have such a disease.......it’s a living death sentence.

In my case I would be thinking......”If you knew what was in front of you........you would NOT get out of bed in the morning!”

Soz not your assessor but your GP.

This is partially my issue. Did my gp feel I would improve or not.
    Now if not I have a nice bucket list I have already made start on. I'm doing it anyway. 

• thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 1,381Member Chatterbox
    Hello good evening every body.  I had a well documented addiction history which as effected my memory.

I have to recognise the best solution for me is to write anything I wish to do in my diary.

I have lost the amount of things I have lost or done.  Senior moments most weeks.

Have reminders all the time.  Make a plan for shopping stock list.  As the supermarkets do.

Plan each time have a pen with you to use to tick off items.

There are things you can do, have a good well balanced diet.

There are foods that may boost memory function.  These are only suggestions.

Olive oil, oily fish ,walnuts  avocados.  There are lots of theories and research needs to be carried out.  Super foods that can be claimed or may boost memory problems.

These include spinach, strawberries and blueberries.

Look at things that stimulate you like puzzles, crosswords.

Music is one and moving a round keeping active.

Hope any of this helps
    Good evening @thespiceman
    Welcome to our evening chat.

Hello @whistles
    Got a brainwave perhaps we could ALL chip in and purchase our respective GPs a crystal ball?..........
  • sleepy1sleepy1 Posts: 293Member Chatterbox
    Some very funny stories which has give me a good laugh so many thanks.  

I have many of my own but will tell you one that happened to my son instead. 
    He had not long moved to a new flat and late one night he was woken by a woman knocking on his door asking to speak to someone he had never heard of, she said oh I must have the wrong flat but do you mind if I use your bathroom as I am desperate, he let her in to use the bathroom and after a long time she came out holding a bottle of shower gel saying this doesn't taste very nice I'm not impressed.

As he tried to usher her towards his front door she told him I am very tired now your going to have to go and shoved him outside.  Thankfully I had a spare key!

Priceless........Priceless.

• sleepy1sleepy1 Posts: 293Member Chatterbox
    @Victoriad, yes I think he has learnt a few things from that experience!........Buy some better shower gel I said just in case another random connoisseur pops around in the middle of the night to test it ; ))

I can make my friend a cup of tea. We're you not having one. Don't know i can't remember now. 
    That's common. But again not important, just lifes little pot holes.
    Victoriad said:
    Good evening @thespiceman
    Welcome to our evening chat.

Hello @whistles
    Got a brainwave perhaps we could ALL chip in and purchase our respective GPs a crystal ball?..........
    Have you seen the price of them.  :)
    I used to make shopping lists when I went shopping and forget said list! I no longer make them. But I have a habit of either forgetting to buy milk and bread or buying too much...
    Hey @whistles
    Maybe we can get one at Poundland  ;) ;)
    Hello @Nystagmite
    Now have a tin of Marvel on hand......it can be filthy stuff but when you’re gasping for a brew..........

Keep a loaf of bread in the freezer.

Thats what I do for emergencies.

• thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 1,381Member Chatterbox
    Hello @Nystagmite Good morning how are you?  I have to make shopping lists because I have gone twice in a week.

Bought the same stuff as well.  Also ideas like stock take good to know where and when you need to buy stuff.

I forgotten lists but main big reason is my all time favourite story.  I with a friend at the time who went a round a big store no list.  Kid in a Candy shop went mad.  Ended up buying BOGOF and all the deals.  I come to till when my price in my head.  Good at estimates.  His well broke the till.  Rang out of bags.  Steam coming his head amount of money.  He had spent.

Turning me the look and pleas.  Had to empty trolley putting stuff back.  Every body getting irate behind us.  I would have paid some of it but he was annoying and always made fun of me and my lists.  Now the tables turned on him.

Nobody wants that do they ?

So the next question is, how many of you with memory issues were awarded any points because of it?

whistles said:
    So the next question is, how many of you with memory issues were awarded any points because of it?

I was awarded none. It was claimed I have no memory problems. I ended up with a brain injury at 11 and hit my head again last year. Yes, there's proof of both and the after effects of the latter due to the vertigo. But I can't prove I have memory difficulties. But it's also a medication side effect. But again, I've got no proof of that. I never mentioned it because it's not overly serious and my GP can't do anything. 
    Hello @whistles
    NUL points for me I’m afraid.

Couldn’t mention the “lovely” fried brain courtesy of a 20 course of treatments via ECT......but as ALL other treatments were not working I was sectioned and subjected to this horror........well known side effect memory loss.....but way hey still NUL points.

Therefore glad of my standard award as better than nothing.

Sectioned .......because I REFUSED to have the ECT treatments under a voluntary basis........I mean would anyone seriously agree to this barbaric treatment?

I had to be injected with sedatives and STRAPPED into the wheelchair otherwise I had to be dragged by three nurses as I struggled against thus treatment being given to me against my will.

Yes we are talking about U.K. mental health treatments in 2016.

I was against the ECT due to its very well documented side effect of memory loss.......Still NUL points for me Im afraid......so what chance has anyone else got?

Soz for soapbox moment but I think many of us on the forum would have more success pushing treacle up a hill than get points for impaired memory......
    Save yourself from further anguish is my advice.

Some surveys conducted by those strongly against ECT say there are severe side-effects in everyone.

Some memory problems are probably present in everyone receiving ECT. Most people feel better after the course of ECT has finished and a few weeks have passed. However, some people do complain that their memory has been permanently affected, that their memories never come back. It is not clear how much of this is due to the ECT, and how much is due to the depressive illness or other factors.

Some people have complained of more distressing experiences, such as feeling that their personalities have changed, that they have lost skills or that they are no longer the person they were before ECT. They say that they have never got over the experience and feel permanently harmed.

What seems to be generally agreed is that the more ECT someone is given, the more it is likely to affect their memory.

Why is it given when there are other treatments available?

ECT has been shown to be the most effective treatment for severe depression. It would normally be offered if:

• several different medications have been tried, but have not helped
    • the side-effects of antidepressants are too severe
    • you have found ECT helpful in the past
    • your life is in danger because you are not eating or drinking enough
    • you are seriously considering suicide.
    SOURCE Royal College of Psychiatrists ( improving people’s lives)

Still  NUL points I’m afraid, to report.

I wouldn't agree and i would be te against it. 
    People die from being tasered. Don't start me off there, another subject for another day!
    Hello @[email protected]
    No agreement = SECTIONED under the mental health act........there’s absolutely bog all you can do about it.

I used to play “dead” on the hospital corridor and refuse to get up.......and scream and kick the nurses to stop them from scraping my dead weight,off the floor p.

Then being strapped into the wheelchair to take me up in the lift to the “suite” upstairs in the psychiatric unit.........Don’t you love the word “suite” ?

......and then more commotion as I was held down by the 3 nurses and anaesthetised before each “treatment”.

If you did this to your pet dog ....you’d have all our Veggie friends burning your house down and putting a Molotov cocktail through your letter box.

You could not make it up!

Anyway.....I won’t say anymore about it.

Im trying to FORGET all about it.....easy in my case I would say with the memory loss.........what memory loss ;)
    I don't know, I can't remember. Joking but actually serious, I had to check NIL POINTS!
    Anyone yet bought their TINS of Treacle?

Just to remind you all....incase you’ve forgotten.....
    ALL TOGETHER now.......” it’s easier to push treacle up a hill than get points for memory”..............followed by
    ”POINTS make prizes!”

There really isn't any point in doing an MR for me because it's all in relation to my not remembering/ forgetting etc. I scored 4 for care purely on the safety.
    Pip has forgotten to include this as a problem. :) 

As for treacle I used to eat golden syrup out the tin.  :*
    Golden syrup always a fave on hot buttered toast!.......must keep the cholesterol levels up and running ;)

Hi @whistles
    just wondering were you awarded care due to the safety issues .......say for example, leaving gas cooker on and forgetting........

Victoriad said:
    Hi @whistles
    just wondering were you awarded care due to the safety issues .......say for example, leaving gas cooker on and forgetting........

It was cooking and washing, element of risk.
    Everything is low risk so no points. 
  • susan48susan48 Posts: 1,526Member Chatterbox
    Victoriad,
    your on great form tonight again, you definitely brighten the day.

Hi @susan48
    Just about to prepare attack on husband for the remote......to watch ‘Say yes to the dress’ at half past 7......bridezillas reign supreme and they sure brighten my day.

My husband refuses to get in touch with his Feminine side.....and has hidden the remote.......what on Earth am I going to do?

PS.....can’t afford more than one telly!

Victoriad,
    your hilarious
    Again half my posts gone!!

chocolate, bribe him 
    i bet he secretly enjoys it

Chocolate is my downfall!

He likes a wee dram.......going to uncork the bottle now!

@susan48
    Go and have a quick peak on thread........My GP is not taking me seriously.

Soz its........GP isn’t taking me seriously

Victoriad,
    make your hubbies a large one .

will have a look.
    enjoy your program 
    x
    That’s me got bribe in place and about to pounce on the remote.......

Soz....you’re going to have to ou5 up with me for another half hour.....got wrong time 

Oops, 
    well on the up side your other half has an extra 30 minutes of man tv

Just boosted my memory.
    Accidently ripped up my award letter plus assessment report. 
    Spent some time putting test puzzle back together.
    It got mixed up with the junk mail.
    Good morning @whistles
    Yes indeedy........every little helps ;)

Glad to see you are on fine form as usual........making us smile.

Trust me to do that. It all looks the same. 
    Sorry I forgot........what looks the same?

I have a habit of only remembering my medication once I'm out the door. Despite me saying this in my assessment, it was decided I have no difficulties with my medication.

But how do I prove it? I live alone.
    I suppose if you totally forgot your medication and never took it all would be one inadvisabke way of proving this.

Alternatively  what about your Carers ...they could write a statement saying what your problems with memory entail.

Other medical professionals involved in your care could write a statement about how in their opinion your lack of memory function impacts on your daily functioning.

Im sorry but I can’t think of anything else that may possibly help.

Just curious here...as I don’t want to pry.....but why is it so important to you to prove you have a lack of memory or a memory impairment if I’m assuming ( rightly or wrongly ) you would have a carer to help you with your day to day living?

If you don’t have a carer why don’t you appoint someone to help you?

Sign in or join us to comment.