My recent experience with a new wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My recent experience with a new wheelchair

Options
davidmckee
davidmckee Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'd like to post my experience recently with AMY Systems and the wheelchair I purchased from them.  I've been disabled, and using a power chair, for 22 years.  I got this new chair one year ago but the seat recliner broke at six months and the batteries that came from the factory became nearly unusable at six months as well.  With the help of my local dealer and AMY's rep we worked to address both problems.  Ultimately, after more than four months the recliner was repaired (hopefully).  AMY denied warrantying the batteries even with the advocacy of their rep who told me they had switched to cheaper batteries and mine were unacceptable.  I basically had to stay home, not keeping MD appointments, for fear of getting stranded without power or having the seating break during a weight shift.  I reached out to AMY to discuss these issues and after several weeks they have yet to get back to me.  I had to fix the battery issue with my local dealers help and keep my independence.  I am very competent in maintaining and properly using wheelchairs and the AMY rep acknowledged the problems I was having had nothing to do with me.  Hopefully this information will help other people make an informed choice as to their future wheelchair needs.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello David @davidmckee and welcome to the community. It may take a little time for your information to percolate through the community, but thank you for taking the time to tell us about it. Much appreciated.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @davidmckee, and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear that you've had this ongoing trouble. Thank you for sharing this with us- as you say, it's always good to have as much information to make a choice as informed as possible.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.