confused on mobility rates — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

confused on mobility rates

jaycee6
jaycee6 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
Hi am I right in thinking that if you get enhanced rate of mobility for moving around ,you are entitled to a mobility car,,,If you get enhanced rate for planning a journey,this means no car but exempt from car tax,,If you get standard mobility you get 50% of car tax..To be honest I haven't got a clue its just  bits I've picked up from different parts of the forums on here, Can any one please enlighten me to the truth,,Many thanks

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    If you get standard mobility 8 or 10 points for moving around, you get a 50% car tax reduction.  I don't know the discounts for planning a journey points.  You could look on the dvla website,
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Enhanced is free car tax and might allow you to lease a car. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning all, yes enhanced mobility is free road tax regardless of engine size, as for leasing a car no mention on my award letter. Maybe you have to take your award letter and certificate to a mobility dealer or call DWP for advice.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to contact motability.
     https://www.motability.co.uk 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • regent
    regent Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    I would strongly suggest that you visit your  local car dealer and enquire about dealer/manufacturers  disabled/ Mobility scheme before you consider the DWP scheme.
    With a Manufactures schemes you can keep the car for longer, and not be dependant on the DWP, take the benefit money and find your own BEST deal....
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @lillybelle, yes you will get 50% off road tax for standard mobility and 100% on enhanced mobility make sure you have a blue badge as well.
  • jaycee6
    jaycee6 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    There are 2 types of mobility enhanced rates..One for mobility and one for planning a route,From what i can gather on the planning a route one if you live in Scotland or wales and have 8 points or more you automatically get a blue badge,If you live in England forget it seems they give you naff all.So unfair.Also i dont think you can apply for a car on the planning a route enhanced rate, It is all so complicated and there seems to be no proper info on it all,,Maybe there is someone out there who gets the planning a route enhanced rate for their child too and they could enlighten me .
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    This is from the motability site

If you are awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, you will continue to be able to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair through the Motability Scheme.

From gov site

Vehicle tax exemption

Eligibility

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

For a blue badge

8 points in the moving around catagory is required

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • louise91
    louise91 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    regent said:
    I would strongly suggest that you visit your  local car dealer and enquire about dealer/manufacturers  disabled/ Mobility scheme before you consider the DWP scheme.
    With a Manufactures schemes you can keep the car for longer, and not be dependant on the DWP, take the benefit money and find your own BEST deal....
    I didn't know there was such a thing, how do the manufacturers schemes work? Is the DWP scheme the motability scheme?
  • regent
    regent Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    edited March 2018
    One scheme is Motorbility* and the other motability*, Manufacturers scheme and the other is DWP scheme.. .
    Talk to your local dealer first, get the facts,and Then compare..
    PcP is personal contract purchase...mainly for business and Ltd Companies.[ Like Contract Hire with benefits].
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    jaycee6 said:
    There are 2 types of mobility enhanced rates..One for mobility and one for planning a route,From what i can gather on the planning a route one if you live in Scotland or wales and have 8 points or more you automatically get a blue badge,If you live in England forget it seems they give you naff all.So unfair.Also i dont think you can apply for a car on the planning a route enhanced rate, It is all so complicated and there seems to be no proper info on it all,,Maybe there is someone out there who gets the planning a route enhanced rate for their child too and they could enlighten me .
    That's not correct sorry.

You can have a car if claiming Enhanced mobility in either following and planning a journey and moving around.

To automatically qualify for a blue badge you need to score at least 8 points in the moving around part of PIP and this includes England.

For the 50% reduction in road tax you need standard mobility in ANY part. For free road tax you need Enhanced mobility in any part. If you're claiming the road tax then the vehicle MUST only be used for the purpose of the disabled person.

If you claim Enhanced mobility in any part to have a motability vehicle then you need to visit a car dealers of your choice and take with you your PIP award letter, and driving license. Your mobility payments will then be taken from you to pay for the vehicle.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.