Coping with unfamiliar journeys (PIP) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coping with unfamiliar journeys (PIP)

charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hello, writing this posts is very upsetting for me, but would appreciate your thoughts.  I have a number of urological problems, The most upsetting is urge incontinence.  I have to be very careful not to let my bladder fill up to much or the result is my bladder will automatically empty.  I am waiting to hear my results of my pip assessment but feel I already know my results.  I do have an existing mental health problem, and Monday of this week have started a new course of therapy with a psychologist. 

I suppose what I am asking would my incontinence  be worth mentioning in the following a journey question.  I have already said that I cannot do an unfamiliar journey due yo my mental health, but not added by bladder problem.  Where are the toilets, could I get to them on time? It is mentioned as one of the reasons I tend to stay in. I don't want to include it if it wouldn't help me, as it upsets me so much to mention it.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Charlene,
    im not really sure if it would help but I would mention it as it prohibits you from living a “normal” life, whatever normal is.
    at the end of the day it’s all part of you, whether physical or mental illness or both.
    mybe someone else can tell you for definate x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlene,

Have you seen the Citizens Advice guidance on filling in the PIP form? They have a section on going out, and based on their explanations, it does sound as though this would be worth mentioning in your case, due to the last two points:

You should probably tick “yes” if: 

• you need help but don't get it 
    • your stress, anxiety or other mental health condition make it difficult for you to go out
    • you find it hard to cope with large crowds or loud noises  
    • you find it hard to cope with unexpected changes to a journey - for example, roadworks or diversions   
    • you only attempt a journey during quiet times of the day - for example, when the shops aren't busy or there's less traffic on the road 
  • charlene
    Sorry Pipa, I must be as thick as 2 planks, I can't see how the last 2  would be of any help. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    No need to apologise @charlene, I probably could have explained better!

It's difficult to predict where you could get points, but it could be that because of your need to control your bladder and carefully plan your route so you could reach the toilets in time, it would be difficult for you to deal with unexpected changes such as roadworks, as they may add time to your journey that you hadn't accounted for and mean that you couldn't reach a toilet in time. Similarly, it may be that traffic could be a similar issue with adding on time you hadn't accounted for?

You know your situation better than I do, but they might be things to think about: I'd definitely recommend having a look at the Citizens Advice page linked above as there's some really great further guidance on there! 
  • charlene
    Ah thanks Pippa, I now understand.  Left my daughters house once, didn't realise the local football team were playing at home. The cars were hardly moving, and yes I had an accident, in the car.  Now have washable seats.  I had forgotten that, all these things add up to restricting my life. Should I add incidents like that to back up my claim. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi charlene

It is a difficult subject to talk about

The only descriptor that might be relevant would be 

11 e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points

So it is worth putting in your claim

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • charlene
    Thank you CockneyRebel.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.