Finding it hard to cope with autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding it hard to cope with autism

Sholay09
Sholay09 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
edited March 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello I am starting to find it very hard to cope with having autism despite the fact that I am nearly 20 now but unfortunately I find it hard to cope with it as it affects me in lots of ways. Also I really feel I have got nobody at all as I am angry about a lot of people keep constantly letting me down when I really need them the most as I am a vulnerable person that wants to be loved and cared for and also for friendships with people to last forever for once as things should like that should never change at all. I just don't know what to do anymore as I just want the world to be better.
S.York

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sholay09, thanks for sharing this with us and I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way.

The last time we spoke we mentioned the National Autistic Society, have you thought any more about speaking with them? They might be able to put you in touch with people and maybe even know of some local groups you could attend and meet new people. What do you think? They have a helpline which you can call if you'd prefer to talk to somebody in person.

And as always, there are plenty of friendly community members on this forum who are always up for a chat! I wonder if you've spoken to @mjdean before? 
  • timoglock
    timoglock Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi, @sholay09,  so I am going to say friendships come and go and do not always last forever,  however, the best way to manage this is to have just a few friends and not demand too much from each one of them.  The way to  get friends? What is your hobby or passion.  Find something you like doing then there are plenty of meetup groups for example that focus on the same thing.  It sometimes it also helps to help others so if you are able to do something and at same time help others it can make you feel better within yourself. This isn't easy and the anxiety about the world being better does get easier with time.  Boringly, make sure you get some daily exercise even lone walking on in a walking group can help you.  There are also often adult autism groups run by people with autism without learning difficulties that can help.  If not maybe put out feelers to start your own.  Just some ideas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.