Benefits Cap — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits Cap

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
Anyone else experienced this. 
I am in a fed up mood just now so feel free to rant about everything and anything. Get it out of your system thread. 

Warning, moan alert.

I've just been capped.

Now the thing is the whole point of the ESA support group is for those of us with lifelong, longterm illnesses/ disabilities. The point of that group is to give you a bit more because of that. It does cost more to be ill. 
I do not work I only have a benefit "income"
I have already been shaved of my pip care and sdp, now they have shaved my benefits again because of the cap.
Do they actually want disabled people living in this country or do they actually want us lined up in the church yard! I can see how people lose the fight and mentally give up/ not be able to cope. Not saying this is me, but the stress has had me in contact with my gp 

I am seriously dreading the UC roll out, because on paper I will be entitled to more money, but not if the cap is in place as it is! 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Whistles,
    i do hope your ok.
    im not sure what you mean by benefits cap?
    mybe brain is mince!!

i think they just want to worry the life out of us so we don’t claim anything because of the stress and worry, save them sh@t loads of money.

• whistles
    https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/benefit-cap-amounts 

Already in place by the looks of it. My brain is fried.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks whistles,
    i had a read, didn’t even know a cap existed!!

thumb screws on in every direction  :'(
  • despondent
    despondent Community member Posts: 88 Connected
    Hi Whistles I checked out your link and found this.

You’re also not affected by the cap if you, your partner or any children under 18 living with you gets:

• Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Carer’s Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (if you get the support component)
    • Guardian’s Allowance
    • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a War Disablement - Pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    So if you are getting the support component of ESA the cap is not applicable.
  • whistles
    Sorry maybe I wasnt clear. The housing benefit have capped me. That is an effected benefit. 
    However my ESA although not actually directly effected by the cap, is giving me money that's likely put me over if you follow.

If this is wrong I need to go to the council because its all been added up as a " recent change" 
  • despondent
    Hi Whistles, if you are on ESA and in the support group, you are protected from the benefit cap. If you get PIP you are protected from the also applying the benefit cap.
  • despondent
    The benefit cap only applies to housing benefit. Vunerable people as listed above are protected, and your rent can be any amount and not restricted.
  • whistles
    So they have made a mistake and I need to go and see them?
    Wish letters like this didn't arrive on a weekend.
  • despondent
    yes, definitely, please phone them first thing on Monday.
  • despondent
    if you go to see them bring all your DWP letters about your benefits, ok.
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering

Know the feeling whistles.  My PIP letter for assessment, landed on my mat a week before Christmas.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • whistles
    My pip was two weeks before and it needed to be in by the 8 Jan. 
    I wish I wasn't indefinite in that respect because I would have had an end date to prepare for.
    You can't submit a diary if you haven't really understood the forms. 
    I am lucky in that my gp is very good. Not sure if I want to know what he said to be fair!
  • despondent
    Whistles, are you on ESA support group, or PIP?
  • whistles
    Both
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi whistles,

Just to confirm, claimants are exempt from the benefit cap if they are receiving PIP and/or are in the support group for ESA, so if you're HB has been reduced because of the benefit cap then you should contact your Local Authority's Housing Benefit team as soon as possible. 

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• whistles
    Many thanks for this. 
  • dellas
    dellas Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone new to this group .i have been awarded esa support group with added disability .from what ive read here does this mean my housin benefit wont be affected .ive tried ringin h/b to ask cant get through thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    dellas said:
    Hi everyone new to this group .i have been awarded esa support group with added disability .from what ive read here does this mean my housin benefit wont be affected .ive tried ringin h/b to ask cant get through thanks 
    Yes whist in the Support Group the benefit cap doesn't apply to you. You'll need to contact your local council regarding your housing benefit. If the benefit cap affected you before you were placed into the Support Group and your housing benefit was affected then you should receive backpay to week 14 of your ESA claim. Providing your ESA took longer than 14 weeks of course.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    There is more than enough information on this site and the Internet regarding Benefits Cap, if only people and scope members would spend a little time researching before posting questions and causing anxiety to others. I feel like posting a comment on subject matters but as the question has been answered several times it seems pointless to repeat what has been said.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.