I want to get legal representation for son's PIP tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I want to get legal representation for son's PIP tribunal

ginnyhumphreys
ginnyhumphreys Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son Lowell was receiving DLA He was assessed for PIPS and they awarded him no points at all I accompanied him to a face to face assessment .He was receiving low rate mobility and middle for care. He sent off the mandatory appeal he did not receive their decision in writing which was to uphold their assessment and not award him PIPS. He has still not received confirmation and without this he cannot take his appeal to Tribunal We have a welfare rights officer in Croydon who has supported us so far but I would like to get legal representation for him. How can I go about this My son has been diagnosed with ASD . He is 35 and needs support in all of this He is really strolling to cope financially without his benefits. he lives in Crystal Palace and I live in East Dulwich. 
many Thanks

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Ginny @ginnyhumphreys and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.
    I'm not a benefits advisor, so cannot respond directly to your questions, but we have experts here who will be in touch with you in due course. Bear with us :smile:
    Your post is already in the Talk About PIP/DLA forum (the link is in the right hand column of links on the purple band lower down the screen) so it will be worth having a look through the posts already there. You may find something similar. Either way, we will get back to you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @ginnyhumphreys

Recently a member on here recommended fightback4justice solicitors.
  • ginnyhumphreys
    the WRO has requested a copy but to date( since october) it hasnt been received by my son. So he advised that we make a fresh application. Which we have dine . Im not sure weve got the best WRO so i wanted to make sure i was doing the very best i could for my son. 
  • Matilda
    @ginnyhumphreys

Another member on here posted recently that they had found low-cost legal representation (solicitor) for a benefit claim through the organisation mentioned.  But I have not as yet had any dealings with the organisation myself.  I'll try to find the post concerned.
  • ginnyhumphreys
    Thanks MAtilda that would be helpful
  • Matilda
    edited March 2018
    Original post:

tryingmybest Posts: 7 Listener March 22

Hi @paul1974 there is trained solicitors that can help you they are called fightback4justice they should come up im google and they have a facebook page, there website has a vip area where you can view templates etc and they have manned phone line.. when they helped me they charged £50 for a submission xx

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/42134/my-money-been-stoped
  • donald
    donald Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    is there a solicitor in glasgow that will help me with my p.i.p, appeal ,as i dont have anybody ,to represent me ,  thank you,
  • donald
    i need the best person to go with me ,
  • donald
    i dont want to take a chance,
  • graham1234
    graham1234 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    i am still trying to find a solicitor to represent me at my pip appeal ,
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't need a solicitor to represent you at a Tribunal. Try a local advice centre near you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree that a solicitor is not needed. Unfortunately some advice agencies make a bad situation worse even if you can find one. My story is very similar after previous experiences with the agencies that exist locally. I refused to appeal until I could find someone that is able to see the job through properly from start to finish.

I eventually hit upon someone who was reputed to be good. He used to head up the County Council Welfare Rights office (they were the first department to go south when the cuts were enforced)

He charges on a no win no fee basis. Given that if he took all of the back pay as a fee, our income would go up upon winning by over £200 a week.

Given that without his help I was never going to be able to fight the latest PIP decision so in effect it was a question that if I lose at the Tribunal I would be no worse off than I am now.

Have a look round for these self employed people - they do hide away unfortunately and it seems that it is all a bit of word of mouth recommendation.
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    I agree that a solicitor is not needed. Unfortunately some advice agencies make a bad situation worse even if you can find one. My story is very similar after previous experiences with the agencies that exist locally. I refused to appeal until I could find someone that is able to see the job through properly from start to finish.

I eventually hit upon someone who was reputed to be good. He used to head up the County Council Welfare Rights office (they were the first department to go south when the cuts were enforced)

He charges on a no win no fee basis. Given that if he took all of the back pay as a fee, our income would go up upon winning by over £200 a week.

Given that without his help I was never going to be able to fight the latest PIP decision so in effect it was a question that if I lose at the Tribunal I would be no worse off than I am now.

Have a look round for these self employed people - they do hide away unfortunately and it seems that it is all a bit of word of mouth recommendation.
    Hi Yadnad
    Most solicitors charge 25% of the money that you win on a no win no fee basis. What you have said above sounds to me, that you are paying 100% back. I think that the Solicitor who is acting on your behalf is taking advantage of your situation. This is unfair and I think it is wrong to do this. I am glad to hear that you are fighting back against the DWP and that you have representation, however the price seems ridiculously high.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    justg72 said:

Hi Yadnad
    Most solicitors charge 25% of the money that you win on a no win no fee basis. What you have said above sounds to me, that you are paying 100% back. I think that the Solicitor who is acting on your behalf is taking advantage of your situation. This is unfair and I think it is wrong to do this. I am glad to hear that you are fighting back against the DWP and that you have representation, however the price seems ridiculously high.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    The % is 40% and what I said was that even if it was 100% it would be fine with me as without him I would not have appealed in the first place - thus a case of what I never will have had I cannot miss it. I am only really interested in getting back to where I was previously.
    We have managed so far without it so the backdated amount - whatever it is will be a bonus.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.