If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Will working part time affect my benefits?

SystemSystem Posts: 417 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Help.

Replies

• jamie86jamie86 Posts: 6Member Listener
    Could any one help me if I’m on esa and pip I want to look into part time work will working part time effect any of the benefits I claim please I need advice 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,256Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi jaimie

PIP is not means tested and you can work and claim the benefit but be aware that any work you do must not be contrarary to the reason for your award
    For example, claiming for mobility and working delivering leaflets would not be a good idea

as For ESA

Claiming ESA if you work

You might be able to work and still claim ESA. It depends on how much you’ll get paid and the hours you do.

Permitted work

If you do ‘permitted work’ it won’t usually affect your ESA. It’s permitted work if both the following apply:

• you earn up to £120 a week
    • you work less than 16 hours a week

There’s no limit on how many weeks your permitted work can last for.

Supported permitted work

You can do ‘supported permitted work’ and earn up to £120 a week. Supported permitted work must be one of the following:

• part of a treatment programme
    • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people

When you start working

Fill in form PW1 and send it to the Jobcentre Plus office that deals with your benefit.

You need to tell Jobcentre Plus if you do any volunteer work (this normally doesn’t affect your ESA).

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • jamie86jamie86 Posts: 6Member Listener
    So is that more money on top of what I already get I only want to do 16 hours is there much jobs I can do that are sitting down I’m a really shy person 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 17,466Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    jamie86 said:
    So is that more money on top of what I already get I only want to do 16 hours is there much jobs I can do that are sitting down I’m a really shy person 
    It's a maximum £120 per week on top of what you already have and it must be under 16 hours not 16 hours. As CR has said it's permitted work BUT you must get permission to do this. If the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming benefits then it could cause you problems.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Jean EveleighJean Eveleigh Posts: 87Member Pioneering
    it depends on the benefits you get, the work you do and if you are entitled to work under a scheme called "permitted work at higher level" - https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules
Sign in or join us to comment.