If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Misrepresenting yourself as a Nurse

CatastropheCatastrophe Posts: 21Member Courageous
It is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE to represent yourself as a Nurse if you are not.  Legal Action can be taken against any such individual.  Always ask for your Assessors FULL name.  If they only give their first name, insist on their full name and full Job Title and check out the registration on the appropriate professional body's website, i.e Royal College of Nursing etc.  If you find out that your Assessor has wilfully misrepresented themselves, phone the Police and get a Crime Reference.  They may well tell you to phone ACTION FRAUD and if so, DO SO!  

Replies

• MisscleoMisscleo Posts: 580Member Pioneering
    Good advice many thanks
  • charlenecharlene Posts: 555Member Pioneering
    Have just checked the RCN website to see if the nurse who assessed me is regiistered. 4 names came up, I was ruled out for distance, I was not practicing.  So this left 2, one is practicing BUT the other one has been removed under 'fitness to practice' not sure what to do now.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • susan48susan48 Posts: 2,194Member Disability Gamechanger
    @charlene,
    im not sure what you could do, maybe call ATOS and simply ask! At the end of the day you are telling effectively a stranger details about you so thinking about it I’d think we would be well within our rights to see there ID etc.

maybe I’m wrong but just a thought 
  • whistleswhistles Posts: 1,603Member Disability Gamechanger
    Silly question.
    But why are some people so concerned about their assessor not being trained, when the dm at dwp isn't?
    When it was all paper based DLA nobody felt the dm needed to be a qualified person?

I understand it if they have lied on your assessors report. But whoever they were lying on the report would be why I was doing the MR.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CatastropheCatastrophe Posts: 21Member Courageous
    Victoriad said:
    It is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE to represent yourself as a Nurse if you are not.  Legal Action can be taken against any such individual.  Always ask for your Assessors FULL name.  If they only give their first name, insist on their full name and full Job Title and check out the registration on the appropriate professional body's website, i.e Royal College of Nursing etc.  If you find out that your Assessor has wilfully misrepresented themselves, phone the Police and get a Crime Reference.  They may well tell you to phone ACTION FRAUD and if so, DO SO!  
    Please correct me if I’m wrong but it’s only illegal to misrepresent your self as a currently practicing nurse if 1)you ARE not on the professional register.
    2) you are dispensing medical care to TREAT patients who have medical symptoms when in fact 
    3) you have NO medical qualifications whatsoever as a nurse
    4) You are causing actual danger and harm to those asking you to care for them

Being an assessor is just making a decision based on a set of descriptors and matching these with your ability to live an independent life.

It has nothing to do with providing care in a medical capacity.

Exactly, that it just what I said.  It is illegal to misrepresent yourself if you are not a Nurse but telling Claimants that you are but you have not one medical qualification and are therefore NOT on the Register.  I am well aware that Assessors are not there to provide care in a medical capacity.  A person with one brain cell knows that.  However, when someone tells you that they are a Nurse, a person, patient, Claimant will feel inclined to trust that person.  If they are not a Nurse at all but say that they are, that is a GRAND breach of integrity.  Why should any Claimant have to divulge their private and personal and private medical details to any Joe Bloggs?  It is indefensible and criminal which is why if a Claimant discovers that their Assessor is not medically qualified but state that they are, report it to the Police and get a Crime Reference.  They may well be told to contact Action Fraud.  Only someone who is actually misrepresenting themselves as a Nurse would have a problem with this!  I hope this clarifies my post but I think it was already very clear.  

No you do not have to be medically qualified to tick boxes on an on line form but to state that you are a Nurse in order to gain confidence of those sitting before you is criminal when you not a Nurse at all.  This is my final comment on the issue.  It is a Criminal Offence to state that you are a Nurse when you are not, or a Paramedic either.  
  • sleepy1sleepy1 Posts: 299Member Pioneering
    So on a good day we could all be employed as a health care professional assessor deciding if someone else looks ill, thin, pale, unkempt, depressed or in pain!

Trouble is too many people make far too many assumptions based on very little knowledge! 

• debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,874Member Disability Gamechanger
    At my pip assessment the first words my assessor said to me was I am a mental health nurse. This gave me confidence that she should know about my health issues and so created a rapport . It turns out that she was not to be trusted. The report was not factual and I should have known not to get my hopes up that she was going to represent me factually and honestly. Therefore I’m now thinking was she even a nurse? 

I am a fibrowarrior!
    @Victoriad I disagree but that’s your opinion and we can all have one. 

I am a fibrowarrior!
    To be fair, I had more training to become a postie that the assessor get!! 

Think NS they all need retraining 
    The only training the Assessors get is a few days training on how to use the Note Pads they have been issued with at taxpayers expense!
    My assessor was a paramedic. Where would I start to look that up? 
    I didn't know that at the assessment, I didn't actually care to be honest.  A qualified person doesn't encourage me to talk, I can do that already. That's the point of the assessment, to put a person to the paper.

What is still puzzling me is people didn't have any issues with paper based DLA. The DM wouldn't be qualified in every single area. The person reading your forms isn't qualified, so why suddenly is this an issue.
    The DM ignored the assessor and dropped points off. So they don't go by what the assessor errors in every case.
    As for training we don't get any in how to fill out the forms. It looks like you need to be with Mensa to fill out in detail. I got two weeks to do it over Christmas, found this site AFTER it had all been sent off. The person helping wasnt interested in seeking 

Random question- are they likely to send people with MH applications to a MH nurse/cpn? 

This website is interesting, what the assessors think of working for Capita. One assessor says about the initial 5 week training isn't enough. DWP make changes to PIP and they are left to get on with it.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Capita-PLC/reviews?fjobtitle=Disability+Assessor
    @whistles,
    Your post brings up very good points, gave me things to think about.

I wasn’t on DLA so cannot comment on that process.

We all, me included, look for someone or something to blame for things.
    I guess the assessor is an easy target for some
    This is a snippet from an assessor.

"On a typical day, you see 3-4 claimants, each assessment takes 60-90 minutes and the write up 1:30 - 3 hours per assessment. Then your work gets assessed and gets sent back to you for amendments if the companies QLS team are not happy with your assessment" 

And those people were not even there!!!!
    I have read all the reviews and yes just copied that from the site.
    Sorry to be ignorant but what’s QLS Team?
    So the assessor is getting assessed on their assessment??

sorry struggling to get my head round that @whistles
    If all these so called Nurses working for Atos and Capita went back to the Hospital Wards, there would not be such a shortage of Nurses in the NHS.  Same goes for Paramedics.  Anyone who has received training to become a Nurse or a Paramedic should be working in the capacity for which they were trained instead of becoming pen pushers for the DWP who tells Assessors to deliberately lie in order to reduce the number of Claims.  What is going on here in the Uk is a bloody disgrace.  Whey get a Degree in Nursing to become a pen pushing paper shuffler?
    whistles said:
    My assessor was a paramedic. Where would I start to look that up? 
    I didn't know that at the assessment, I didn't actually care to be honest.  A qualified person doesn't encourage me to talk, I can do that already. That's the point of the assessment, to put a person to the paper.

What is still puzzling me is people didn't have any issues with paper based DLA. The DM wouldn't be qualified in every single area. The person reading your forms isn't qualified, so why suddenly is this an issue.
    The DM ignored the assessor and dropped points off. So they don't go by what the assessor errors in every case.
    As for training we don't get any in how to fill out the forms. It looks like you need to be with Mensa to fill out in detail. I got two weeks to do it over Christmas, found this site AFTER it had all been sent off. The person helping wasnt interested in seeking 

Random question- are they likely to send people with MH applications to a MH nurse/cpn? 

This website is interesting, what the assessors think of working for Capita. One assessor says about the initial 5 week training isn't enough. DWP make changes to PIP and they are left to get on with it.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Capita-PLC/reviews?fjobtitle=Disability+Assessor
    Paradmedics MUST be registered here https://www.gov.uk/register-paramedic.  If not they are breaking the law!
    Excuse typo:  Should read PARAMEDICS not Paradmedics!   LOL!
    susan48 said:
    @whistles,

susan48 said:
    @whistles,

When they are on a salary of £32,000+ per year, they should jolly well be honest, record Claimant's health issues correctly, should have integrity and be who they say they are and certainly NOT bow their heads to the DWP who are telling Assessors to deliberately lie about Claimant's health issues in order to refuse the Claim.  That is FRAUDULENT.  It is TAXPAYERS MONEY that is paying their wages.  It is disgraceful that Nurses who have been trained here in the UK and also Paramedics, prefer to become desk bound pushing pens as a living.  No wonder the NHS is in such a state with a shortage of Nurses and with those who dial 999 having to wait hours for an ambulance to arrive!
    @Catastrophe,
    whilst I do agree, regardless of how much your salary is, they should be honest, we are. 
    Also the fact that nurses, paramedics etc are doing this job is not our job to work out why, possibly there’s a reason they are not in that role anymore.

Us of all people criticise people for judging us so we shouldn’t judge them.

Everyone has there own thoughts on assessors but they do have rules to follow and I’m sure if there are complaints bout certain ones it would be flagged somewhere that there not following procedures.

Just a thought 
    On a personal level, I would not walk into a room and let an untrained medical person examine me.  In the real world if a person touches me, it could be construed as common assault.  

At my assessment I was asked to look up, look right and left, look down, which I did but just once. (Pain).I have arthritis in my neck, and at its worse for months when turning, left to right I get this very loud crunching.  Dries me mad.  At present the crunching is there, but thankfully is quiet.  
    Because of this problem, I must not exercise my neck, because it can bring on a stroke.

on reflection, I think I was foolish to turn my head this way and that.  It was because I thought  my assessor was an health professional, and  lulled into a false sense of  security.  I think my assessor was medically trained, because when I put my head down, she actually said, don't do that!
    I’m sure all the assessors have training in general health, if it was a case that anyone medical or otherwise could be an assessor then I’d had thought they would be an endless list of people wanting a very well paid job.

@charlene , sounds like your assessor had some understanding of your neck problems.

Susan, I just can't believe how stupid I was though.  In future I must say NO!

@charlene,

we we are too ready to please , if that’s the correct phrase. 

It wasnt you being stupid, because your not, it’s was you being upfront and honest  <3
    Victoriad said:
    If someone continues to phone up action fraud making unfounded accusations they may be liable for slander and even get a free trip inside a police car as a bonus!

Man in a uniform time. 

I'll go sit on that step.
    I won't get off until you say so. 
    Just looked up mine, with all this talk.
    Registered last year and he will expire in 2019. Bet he sleeps better than me though!!!

As much as I think this forum is great, we need to be mindful of feeding people's anxieties, or in my case the can't help but nosey.

Pass the pile cream. Isn't that a myth though sitting on cold seats gives you piles. 

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    To be honest, a semi trained monkey could carry out an assessment.

IT IS NOT A  MEDICAL !!

PIP is an assessment of functionality, they are looking at the " HOW " you are affected by whatever condition you have. Your condition and medical evidence provides the  "WHY "  and is of secondary importance

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    Personally Iv had enough of this thread, it’s all too negative for me.

Each to their own though
    Me too

I am a fibrowarrior!
    Victoriad said:
    If someone continues to phone up action fraud making unfounded accusations they may be liable for slander and even get a free trip inside a police car as a bonus!

@Victoriad ;  I dont think so.  More like the Assessor who is paid from the public purse who is knowingly and wilfully committing a crime of misrepresentation at the expense of a vulnerable AND the taxpayers.
    charlene said:
    On a personal level, I would not walk into a room and let an untrained medical person examine me.  In the real world if a person touches me, it could be construed as common assault.  

At my assessment I was asked to look up, look right and left, look down, which I did but just once. (Pain).I have arthritis in my neck, and at its worse for months when turning, left to right I get this very loud crunching.  Dries me mad.  At present the crunching is there, but thankfully is quiet.  
    Because of this problem, I must not exercise my neck, because it can bring on a stroke.

on reflection, I think I was foolish to turn my head this way and that.  It was because I thought  my assessor was an health professional, and  lulled into a false sense of  security.  I think my assessor was medically trained, because when I put my head down, she actually said, don't do that!
    @charlene ;  This is exactly what I am talking about.  You were LULLED into a FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY by someone you thought you could trust.  After you had described your history to the Assessor they should not have told you to carry out those movements which could have caused more damage.  This is why our GPs are the best people to provide information to the DWP not some cowboy outfit like ATOS or CAPITA who have been told by the DWP to deliberately get their Assessors to lie about Claimants health issues.  A REAL NURSE would not have compromised your arthritic neck.  As for this Victoriad who keeps bleating, she needs to back off.  Sounds like a real JOBSWORTH not wanting the truth to be revealed.
  • AlexAlex Posts: 1,325Scope Team Scope community team
    Good evening. For obvious reasons, I've closed this thread. 

Please make sure your messages on this site respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them. Take care to present your views tactfully.

A post may be removed if we think it might be, harassing, inaccurate, defamatory, abusive, or otherwise inappropriate

This discussion has been closed.