If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What does pain and depression look like?

sleepy1sleepy1 Posts: 299Member Pioneering
Many people have had assessments where the reports have said things like does not look like in pain, no depression observed, looks well..........Really!

Replies

• JurphJurph Posts: 280Member Pioneering
    Really!

Mine said I "didn't look tired, anxious or depressed". I'd like to know how I'm meant to look.
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Posts: 609Member Pioneering
    I was told I don't look tired either. No, that's why with even 8 hours sleep, I want a nap at 2pm. My assessment was at 9am.

I'd just taken my medication, which as anyone knows, does take some time to kick in.
  • sleepy1sleepy1 Posts: 299Member Pioneering
    I think they have a whole host of stupid questions.........Asking someone with down's syndrome how did they catch it beggars belief.

https://www.rt.com/uk/418773-disability-cuts-pip-payments/
  • whistleswhistles Posts: 1,603Member Disability Gamechanger
    I do think they have set criteria and unless someone corrects me with proof, certain disabilities/ illnesses get certain points. 
    I am reading posts from people with the same conditions as me who scored less, nothing or didn't quite get the standard 8. 
    I accept I probably don't qualify, I accept I probably didn't fully understand the forms- but everyone has also misunderstood the forms, unlikely. 

If someone with a diagnosis of dementia and Alzheimer's is ignored, how on earth do I get my short term memory loss across!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
    It's supposedly based on how you are. But it seems that unless you meet their definition of disabled, you can't be.

I don't have hearing difficulties according to them. The letter from ENT clearly states it's hypersenstivity to noise (which you obviously can't tell until you take me somewhere loud and I either put my hands over my ears or walk out) and processing of sounds. The latter is more obvious if there's more than one noise.
  • WaylayWaylay Posts: 875Member Pioneering
    Yeah, he said I didn't look tired - I'd slept 2 hours out of the last 48 due to anxiety.
    He said I seemed well-nourished. Actually, I'd lost a lot of weight, as I'd been extremely anxious and very depressed, and when I'm like that I stop eating for days, and don't eat properly for weeks. He asked me how much I'd lost, and I said I didn't know as I don't have a scale (I have a tendency toward tracking my weight far too closely and focusing on it, so I got rid of the scale). I did say that I'd had to make a new hole in my belt, but apparently that wasn't of interest. I weighed myself at my partner's a couple of weeks later, and I was 3.5kg under my usual (I'm skinny as hell anyway). That was despite the fact that my partner had been coming by 3 times a week to make me eat for weeks.

He made a huge deal out of the fact that my MH meds haven't changed in 2 years, but didn't ask me why:.
    a) I have refractory Major Depression - 14 MH meds in 24 years, of all the major classes except one, and all of them have stopped working after a while. Venlafaxine has kept working for 8?9? years, although not amazingly well. They added lamotrigine a couple of years ago for mood swings, and that seemed to help a bit.
    b) Venlafaxine has a horrendous withdrawal syndrome, and I'm on the max inpatient dose (375mg). It would take months to titrate me down, with nasty side effects, and I'm terrified of what would happen during those months, as they wouldn't be able to give me anything else until I was off of it.
    c) Venlafaxine and lamotrigine both have some effects on chronic pain, so it seems silly to go off them.
    d) I'm on a lot of prescription and OTC meds. Finding a combo that doesn't cause nasty interactions and still has some useful effects was v. difficult. Unless a new superdrug comes along, my pain consultant, psychiatrist, GP and I think it's best to leave things as they are.
    But no, 2 years on the same meds means that I'm stable. I have Borderline PD - the definition of unstable mood! Also, even if I *were* stable, that doesn't mean I'd be *healthy*.

ARGH.

• debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,874Member Disability Gamechanger
    Same

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shaziershazier Posts: 82Member Courageous
    mosy said:
    My husband just had his appeal and lost .They said you don't look confused He has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's he also blind in one eye after a stroke.He also has spine problem What are you sopose to look like when you are in ill health . Taking it further .
    My dad has Alzheimers and was diognosed 7yrs ago, you wouldnt know just by looking at him, my mum makes sure he is dressed well and he doesnt look confused all the time either, you would need to chat with him to realize he gets confused and is very forgetful, this is disgusting, my dad doesnt have pip, he has attendance allowance, he had his forms filled in for him, im not sure ho it was,, he had no face to face assesment,  i hope you get your husband what he deserves, its disgusting that the most genuine people have to fight for there entitlements. life for people with mental health issues and phyical issue is difficult enouugh without the goverment putting more added stress and anxiety on us. i dont know how they manage to sleep at night. if only they could have the difficuties just for a few months and live the  life that we have to face eaach and every day. i wish you all the best, if this were me i wouldn't mentally be able to cope and  fight these people and they know  allot of people cant. good luck
    Someone should build a campaign about invisible illness and the DWP

I am a fibrowarrior!
    I've met people with things like bi polar, schizophrenia, etc. I only knew because they told me. They (the illnesses) don't have a look, which is what it seems the assessors / DWP are implying here.

I've been told more than once I shouldn't have my bus pass (I'm registered partially sighted) because I "look fine" and because I wear glasses. There's the odd visual impairment where it's clear there's an issue with the eyes, which I thankfully don't have. But you can't tell what someone sees just by looking at them.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @whistles
    I also believe that having a driving liscence also has a lot to do with the points.

You  gave me food for thought on a thread you’d posted ( can’t remember which) on earlier about forgetting to mention Id had my licence revoked on my application form.

Next week when feeling a bit better .......still feeling off due my shingles etc.
    I will see about mentioning this when phoning up the dept that awarded me PIP.

I think having had your driving liscence revoked on medical grounds by the DVLA ( who are VERY thorough)
    adds on the points.

In what descriptor would this add points ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    I don't think invisible illnesses have a look. That's why it's called invisible.
    They do have guidelines to follow you can download that. But it's interpretation and assumption.

My choice of clothes tells you nothing about how long it took to put them on. Our whether I have chosen then because I struggle with clips or lack confidence to wear anything else. 
    My guess is having an assessment in January and wearing a summer dress could be seen as inappropriate and scores points. However that could also say I'm eccentric and I don't feel the cold. Someone would stop me going out like that- so I would be dressed ok! That's what the forms said. Someone prompts the correct choices.  
    I scored when I set foot out of the house though. I won't be in a summer dress so you can lose that image. I don't own any.  :)

As a totally different subject on appearances and behaviour, the police are trained to recognise suspect behaviour and they say a criminal doesn't have a "look" 
    So maybe that's it @Victoriad the behaviour. Though that requires a lot of training and subject knowledge. 
    I think the subject is interesting, and we do make a judgement about someone meeting them for five minutes. 
    A male assessor might view someone wearing a sack as well kempt!
    After years of chronic pain I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by going to a different doctor . What does it look like? My GP says it’s the symptoms I have and it’s the way the brain perceives pain in the body. He says I feel pain MORE. He says it makes me Hypersensitive. Does that draw a picture for you, or is it just me  being able to because it’s me, lol. Assessors need a clear method of understanding invisible illness. Maybe an invisibility meter?

I am a fibrowarrior!
    @whistles onslaught at invisible reply

I am a fibrowarrior!
    What ! P M S L !

I am a fibrowarrior!
    It was my keyboard lol

I am a fibrowarrior!
    Yep you got me!

I am a fibrowarrior!
    No worries, @Victoriad! I suspect that I've been misdiagnosed as having BPD when I actually have Complex PTSD, but you have to go with the diagnoses you're given, right?
    Good God, @Victoriad! That's terrifying! You managed to get to Tribunal before they started the ECT, right?! A psychiatrist I saw a few years ago suggested that I have 6 ECT sessions, but no way, Jose. I've known several people who've had it, and they all said they lost short-term memories and felt somehow...different afterwards (not just better from the depression). The scary thing is, you'd never know if you were actually different, would you? Maybe you'd be a bit stupider, or you'd have forgotten some memories which were important to you, or maybe chocolate would taste different afterwards, but you wouldn't remember it. Eek. My brain doesn't work so well, but I'd like to stay me, thank you very much. If it was the only thing left to try and I was going to be sectioned over and over and never have a chance to live a vaguely reasonable life, then I'd say yes, but I'm not at that point yet. Hmmm. Well. Actually, I very rarely leave the house, don't eat enough, barely sleep, don't talk to people except my partners... Hmmm. Maybe I need to think about that.

I've always been terrified of being sectioned. I know that hospitals are supposed to be safe, restful places where you can recover, but I've heard enough from others in my BPD program to convince me that I never want to go in there. (On the other hand, I had to get a friend sectioned a few weeks back because he had a psychotic break, and he was talking very calmly about having to kill himself so the world would continue to exist. :/. He said the hospital was fantastic. It's possible that, once again, people with BPD get treated poorly because even mental health practitioners have the wrong idea about what BPD is. Sigh.) I probably should have been sectioned a couple of times over the past few years, but I'd told my partners and friends how terrified I was of it, so they set up suicide watch rotas to keep me under constant surveillance until I stopped wanting to kill myself. I'm very lucky to have such amazing friends.

TRIGGERS (sexual assault ahead) A few years ago I was drugged, taken to some stranger's flat, and raped multiple times. I couldn't even turn my head, or lift a finger, and I only remember tiny bits and pieces of it. I'm still traumatized. The idea of being taken to a strange place against my will, possibly restrained, and forcibly injected with drugs... And if it was a male nurse... Yikes! I think it'd undo all the progress I've made. TRIGGERS OVER.

Some genes have been discovered for schizophrenia (my Dad was involved in the discovery of two of them), although most geneticists believe that the genes just make the person more vulnerable to developing the disease - it probably also needs to be triggered by something (a virus? trauma? environment? who knows). I keep reading about differences in the brains of people with various mental illnesses - psychopaths have a smaller something-or-other, people with BPD have less white matter (I think? Don't take my word for it - I've been awake for 47 hours). The thing is, the papers I've read about these differences almost always assume that the structural differences in the brain are the *cause* of the mental illness. What if the mental illness causes the brain structure to change? Or what if the most common class of meds for a particular disease causes the structural changes? They never address that, and as the work is so new, I suspect that they haven't been able to do long-term studies looking at differences in brain structure of people before and after they develop a mental illness. How is that even allowed? That's not science!

I agree, psychiatry freaks me out too. I think it can be useful to be put into categories sometimes - you don't want to give someone with bipolar disorder straight anti-depressants, as it can send them manic. Of course, the categories aren't great, and people still get put into the wrong one sometimes, but it cuts down on the mid-medication of some patients, etc. I do find it odd, though, that many psychiatrists: 1) Seem to have completely bought into the medical model (um, trauma? Abuse? Physical illnesses? Stress? Nope, only brain chemicals and genes!), and 2) Seem so certain of their diagnoses, when they *must* know how generally crap humans are at inventing useful categories and sticking people in the right ones. What pisses me off the most is mental health practitioners (and physical health ones) who don't bother to listen to you, treat you like a 5 year old, and assume that they, in their god-like wisdom, know what's best for you. Yeah, I'm crazy, but most of the time I have enough insight into my condition to make vaguely reasonable choices. If I say "no ECT", perhaps they could treat me with meds until I stabilized a bit, and check back with me about the ECT thing a few days later? Don't get me wrong, I've met a few physical health practitioners who act the same way, but the key difference is that if I refuse to have surgery on my knee, I can just walk out of the surgery.
    @Waylay ;The scary thing is, you'd never know if you were actually different, would you?

Yes. Sadly that comes under insight. 
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @whistles
    Lack of insight is a basis tenet of mental illness.

Personality disorder seems to be dealing with inherent traits within an individual and nothing to do with insight.

I thought psychosis lacked insight and neurosis didn't. 
    Personality disorders I would figure were there from birth. Different aspects of you coming forwards at different times. But you all the same?
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @CockneyRebel
    I think it would help under question 2 and question 13.

For Question2 If you don’t have a label eg a medical label using the DSM psychiatry manual then the condition and it’s symptoms would have to be clearly stated by the consultant signing the DVLA form.

For Question 13A and 13C in the going out sections.

I have thought long and hard and I don't see how this can apply. Of course I may well be wrong

CR
    https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

If you are applying for pip and are saying that your condition/ illness/ disability is so severe that you  should score enough points to qualify- the dvla should be aware of your difficulties to make a decision. That's just my opinion.

You need to be medically fit to be behind the wheel of a car. 
    I am thinking of the planning and following a journey. If you can't do that, how can you be driving? 
    I had to Google blue sky thinking.  :)
    edited April 2018
    @Victoriad I do lots of thinking cos I'm always sitting on the naughty step, there be nothing else to do.
  • susan48susan48 Posts: 2,194Member Disability Gamechanger
    @whistles nite nite

I am a fibrowarrior!
    Good night all.
  • sandyp196sandyp196 Posts: 132Member Pioneering
    I was misdiagnosed with bipolar and put on lots of meds that made me very unwell. It was years until I had another assessment and onky becsuse I had a total breakdown.  I was reassessed and it was decided I didn't have bipolar after all. Me and my family were horrified. I was practically forced to take all those drugs despite saying over and over again I was feeling worse and the meds made me unwell. 
    I have been properly diagnosed now and am properly monitored on my new meds regime. I don't feel able to talk about my new diagnosis atm as I'm still coming to terms with it all myself. 
    But I feel my physical health and mental health has suffered very much due to all the strong meds I took for years for a condition I didn't have, and which was diagnosed on a 20 minute assesment with a doctor who didn't know me qnd evenue got my name wronG.
    I strongly believe the drugs hAve damaged my body and brain function.but iv had no apology or explanation. 
    My family have complained about my medical care over the last 8 years and about how a wring diagnosis went undiscovered for so long. 
    I'm really not bothered about complaining. I jsut want to feel a bit better and I am starting to feel a bit better now. I'm just angry noone has apologised or will give me an honest answer about how and if all that medication I took will have long term effects for me. 
    Iv noticed aN awful lot of people these days are diagnosed with bipolar.  I would say just make sure your assesment for it was thorough, and if you feel your symptoms don't quite match, ask for another assessment before you take those strong drugs.   
    I will wait for it to come out online @Victoriad ;
    Absolutely get other opinions on your health and keep pushing until you feel assured. I know it’s hard finding the energy for it but it’s your very peace of mind, pardon the pun.

I am a fibrowarrior!
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @debbiedo49
    I just look upon a diagnosis as an opinion....

Opinions are like a*** holes......EVERYONES’ got one!

And unfortunately, some a***holes have opinions :)

CR
    Bwahahaha thats funny

I am a fibrowarrior!
    @Victoriad,
    pits not arrived with me yet, the snow so please keep it  :)
    Victoriad said:
    susan48 said:
    @Victoriad,
    pits not arrived with me yet, the snow so please keep it  :)
    I was only trying to be generous  ;)

Your generosity would usually be gratefully received but not in this instance  :)
    Enjoy and remember to wrap up well  ;)
    A bulldog chewing a wasp

CR
  • adhdbird1980adhdbird1980 Posts: 7Member Listener
    I do wonder if there is a set criteria of what they look for. It's hard enough having to live daily with anxity and depression but to be judged by the way you look and have your illness totally dismissed is a total slap in the face 

It’s a joke really no one knows what’s going on in the inside yet just because we look fine we are ok.. i hate when someone says oh you look ok it’s how we feel 
  • charlenecharlene Posts: 555Member Pioneering
    I have been diagnosed with severe depression and severe anxiety, but am very good at hiding these feeling, so I don't think others would pick up on it.  Fibromyalgia, yes I think people do, as  I can look very tired and this was picked up at assessment.

my daughter has Bipolar and can be manic with shopping, it reminds me of Supermarket Sweep, when I am shopping with her.  On the day she was sectioned, she was running around the garden top less, also running up and down street.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    Hugs Charlene I have severe depression and anxiety and it’s horrible makes my life a living nightmare i have so much other issues also it’s hard also with your daughter my brother got sectioned it’s the best thing that could of happened to him as he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. hoping you both get the right help needed to make life easier :)
    Wow, I hope you don't mind that I'm writing a small novel here. I've now been awake for 2 days, I'm oddly hyperactive, and it's 5:15AM, so I have nothing else to do. ;)

I was diagnosed with Borderline by a CBT therapist after she'd seen me once (supposed to be something only a psychiatrist can diagnose!) I went and read up on it, and I had a few of the symptoms (a couple of them were worse when I was younger), but it just didn't make sense to me. I asked her to lay out her reasons for the diagnosis. She said:
    1) I'd been abused in childhood. (This is not a symptom, it's a possible cause. Many people are abused in childhood, sadly, but they don't all end up with BPD)
    2) I'd self-harmed in the past (Self-harm occurs in other mental illnesses too, not just in BPD)
    3) I had "grandiose" ideas about myself. (? My self-loathing  self-criticism is legendary. WTF? She'd asked me if I thought I was more intelligent than an average person, and I said yes. I wasn't being grandiose, though; I have two degrees in Geophysics from one of the top 5 unis in the world, did really well at work, and then my boss paid for me to do a PhD at another of the top 5 unis. I'm not a genius, but I'm pretty smart - at least, before the fibro-fog. ;) *shrug*)
    4) We had a limited number of sessions together, and I've done a lot of therapy, so I showed up to the first meeting with a couple of papers laying out my MH history, my family's issues, meds I'd taken, when I'd had MDD episodes, etc. She decided that I was manipulating her, when I was just trying to be efficient with the time we had!
    5) Lastly, she decided that I was promiscuous and that I engaged in impulsive risky sex. (I think I'd had sex with 10 people at the time, and I was 35 - not exactly the whore of Babylon. But as you said, it's all opinion, isn't it? I suspect that promiscuous is an adjective applied to anyone who's had more sex than her. ;) She decided that because I'm polyamorous I clearly engaged in impulsive risky sex. I had to explain what polyamory was to her, so it's not like she had a clue about it. In fact, all the poly people I know are extremely strict about getting tested before they sleep with a new partner, always practice safer sex, if a condom breaks wait 2 months and get tested before sleeping with any other partners, etc. The idea of giving your monogamous partner an STI is pretty horrid, but the idea of giving a poly partner an STI, and they give it to their other partner, who gives it to.... OK, it'd be unlikely to spread like that, but you'd still have to tell everyone, and they'd all have to stop having sex until they got tested, and they'd all worry.... Multiple studies have shown that compared to monogamous people poly people get fewer STI's, despite sleeping with more people. I told her this. I even brought in one of the papers the next week. Nope. Risky impulsive whore was my diagnosis. Oops. I mean BPD. ;) )
    Victoriad , I think it could be Desmond Morris, the naked ape.
    Thanks adhdbird, I hope things improve  for you two.  Whatever happens to our loved ones, is bound to effect us, we'll that is what I think.

looking after my husband took its toll on my health, and what has happened in the years since.  Thank goodness when I was young I never knew what the future held. It breaks my heart what has happened to my beautiful daughter.  There again I still have a daughter, my brother and sister-in-law lost one of their's.
    Thats great thanks for posting
    ( now where can we post it for HCP's and DM's to read )
    SPLASH :)
  • sandyp196sandyp196 Posts: 132Member Pioneering
    The thing is, you get diagnosed with a serious mental health condition by a psychiatrist taking a guess in 20 minutes (as in my case). So that's that. A diagnosis. But what happens next is unbelievable.  
    Loads of strong medication. 
    If you report it makes you unwell there are 2 options which are 'persevere' or 'let's switch one or two out' . 

I complained for years and years the meds weren't working and actually made me worse. I am worse. I had a nasty habit of hitting a bad phase mentally and stopping the meds myself. This was usually put me in hospital and a few times a police station, and 2 occasions a holding cell in 5h3 police stations.  Iv been banned from local shops, pubs and even buses, and one taxi rank. All this limits my world even more.  
    But every single time I stopped those meds I was accused of not engaging with support and not being responsible towards my well being. 
    I got blamed for it all and one doctor refused to have me on his patient list anymore because of my 'engagement' issues. 
    I'm now rediagnosed. I refused to accept the first diagnosis and have only accepted it on a second opinion. Plus the new meds seem to be working so I can assume from that I'm finally on the right meds for the right illness.  Bt I have been treated bad and because I was deemed as having bipolar, any resistance I voiced towards the medication or my treatment was put down as a symptom of bipolar!!!  Because I had a mental health condition I wasn't deemed sane enough to make decisions or assessments on my own condition. 
    All of this happened because of one 20 minute assesment. 8 years of my life robbed from me and god knows what the long term effects of those medications are. 
    My family are persuing it through legal channels.  I don't want any money or compensation and we haven't complained in thay way. We jsut want to make sure doctor cannot do this to people, or at least make follow up assesments a requirement of any initial assessment to make sure a person actually has the illness doctors are drugging them for!

I had similar in that the MH issues that sprung up were looked at but the neurological side wasnt supported.
    I had a life changing accident at 15, breakdown at 17.
    Ooh that's bound to be her childhood, drugs, adolescense.
    No you silly turds, you've just split me in half and focused totally on my mind, that's in turmoil right now. 
    Psychiatrists are textbook trained and if you fit a box, it's an MH issue- not saying I didn't have issues but my life had just been turned inside out- anyone would have!!
    I will wait for it to come out online @Victoriad ;
    Absolutely get other opinions on your health and keep pushing until you feel assured. I know it’s hard finding the energy for it but it’s your very peace of mind, pardon the pun.
    Do you think it can be back ordered off Amazon?
    Just an aside if some of you are interested in films.
    'I, Daniel Blake' is a very moving film about a 59 year old man trying to get ESA, and the appeal process.
    I sometimes wonder if people in the dwp should watch it because there must be hundreds of people who know what this film is like to live with. And others who wonder how your life could get to this point- so so easily! 
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @debbiedo49
    I just look upon a diagnosis as an opinion....

Opinions are like a*** holes......EVERYONES’ got one!

And unfortunately, some a***holes have opinions :)

CR
    I talk and fart out of mine.  :)
    edited April 2018
    Victoriad said:
    There is a book just out about the power of the pharmaceutical industry and it’s unsavoury and stronger links to psychiatry.......I think I read a review about it in the Times newspaper.......

Ill see if I can find the title and let you know as I will see if library will stock it on a book request.

Only thing is I used to speed read books but unable to now as I have to revisit what I read the chapter previously before commencing again.

Its like one gear forward and two gears backwards.

What I have noticed lately is some of my meds change suppliers. Now yes thats to keep costs down, but it has made me wonder why all of a sudden one is giving me adverse effects. 
    Using coffee as a rubbish example if you buy ASDA's own it's coffee and cheaper as oppose to a named expensive brand. But, they use different beans, different processes. So taste and effect is different.
    Ps nescafe gold decafe is passable as a decafe. Use one a day as a test and it lasts a while. 
Sign in or join us to comment.