Think grandson could be on the autistic spectrum, waiting for the next stage. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Think grandson could be on the autistic spectrum, waiting for the next stage. Any advice?

Wingfield
Wingfield Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi ... my grandson is 7 and the school think he could be on the autistic spectrum ... my daughter and son-in-law have filled out various forms and have been told that it has been forwarded onto the next stage which could take 18 months plus ? Is there anything we do as a family to get help or advice ?

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wingfield and a warm welcome to the community. Good to have you with us. I notice that your post is already in 'Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) so I'm here just to say hello and to ask you to bear with us. People much more qualified to help than I will be getting back to you as soon as possible, so please stay in touch.
    Warmest best wishes to you and yours,
    Richard
  • Wingfield
    Wingfield Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for the welcome and message ... I'm new to these forums so forgive me if I'm not doing it correctly .
  • JennysDad
    Hi @Wingfield,
    And you're doing perfectly :smile:
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    The National Autistic Society have tons of support and information that might be helpful to you :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,336 Disability Gamechanger
    Wingfield said:
    Hi ... my grandson is 7 and the school think he could be on the autistic spectrum ... my daughter and son-in-law have filled out various forms and have been told that it has been forwarded onto the next stage which could take 18 months plus ? Is there anything we do as a family to get help or advice ?
    Hi, unfortunately the waiting lists for ASD assessments in a lot of areas is huge! My daughter is currently going through the assessment for this and she waited just 5 months. The reason it was quick for her was because she skipped the first part of the assessment and went straight onto the second and final part. If it wasn't for that then the waiting list would have 1 year +. Once the assessment does start even this this can take months. There isn't any you can do in the meantime unfortunately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JennysDad
    Hello @Wingfield and it is good to hear from you again.
    From what others have said it doesn't appear that there is much you can do in terms of hurrying the assessment on. Perhaps you could - as you appear to be doing, really - look further into the condition itself. If you can share information about how your grandson is, those here who are familiar with ASD may recognize traits and behaviours and be able to offer advice on how to respond to them? Only a thought, but might be worth a try.
    Warmest best wishes to you, always,
    Richard

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.